• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

All Grown Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldschooldad

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I have a 16 year old son that has lived with me for 14 years. His mother and I share custody of him jointly but I am the primary care giver and custodian. I recently discovered the possibility that my son may be involved in some illeagle activities. I approached him on the matter and he confirmed my suspicions. I expressed to him that I would not accept any type of illeagle activity under my roof. I further reminded him of all the things he stood to lose by involving himself with such things including his freedom. I was firm but fair and forgiving concerning the matter. I asked him to dispose of any materials he had on his person and he did immediately with minimal hesitation. I explained to him that should I find any such materials again or as much as suspect any illeagle activity that I would have him arrested. He let me finish and then expressed to me that he had no intention on stopping with the activity and further more I should probably just call the police right then. The following day he walked out of my house and has not returned since. I suspect he is staying with friends some place in town but have been unable to locate him. Ive contacted the police and reported him as a run away juvinile. But the question becomes what are my options should he be found and breought back home? I cannot jepordize the rest of my family by allowing him to remain here with us while he continues to be a lawless deliquent, neither can I turn my back on my oldest child. What are my options?

Last edited:

ezmarelda

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I have a 16 year old son that has lived with me for 14 years. His mother and I share custody of him jointly but I am the primary care giver and custodian. I recently discovered the possibility that my son may be involved in some illeagle activities. I approached him on the matter and he confirmed my suspicions. I expressed to him that I would not accept any type of illeagle activity under my roof. I further reminded him of all the things he stood to lose by involving himself with such things including his freedom. I was firm but fair and forgiving concerning the matter. I asked him to dispose of any materials he had on his person and he did immediately with minimal hesitation. I explained to him that should I find any such materials again or as much as suspect any illeagle activity that I would have him arrested. He let me finish and then expressed to me that he had no intention on stopping with the activity and further more I should probably just call the police right then. The following day he walked out of my house and has not returned since. I suspect he is staying with friends some place in town but have been unable to locate him. Ive contacted the police and reported him as a run away juvinile. But the question becomes what are my options should he be found and breought back home? I cannot jepordize the rest of my family by allowing him to remain here with us while he continues to be a lawless deliquent, neither can I turn my back on my oldest child. What are my options?
My personal non-legal opinion...if he is engaging in illegal activity in your home turn him in and let him face the consaquenses(spelled wrong but you get the point)

smutlydog

I cannot jepordize the rest of my family by allowing him to remain here with us while he continues to be a lawless deliquent, neither can I turn my back on my oldest child
You have just been told your legal options but I would speak to a family counselor to find out why this is happening.

The fact that he is willing to challenge you on your threat is interesting but I don't want to make any assumptions here. If this is the only problem you have with him then on some level your lucky. Your setting a good example and you do love him so it might just be something you over looked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">