• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Almost Adults In Love

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoonToBeAdults

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughter will be 18 this month. Her boyfriend will be 18 in May. We use to live in Ohio. They have been on and off since 4th grade. Even though we moved away they still went to proms together and stayed in touch. They want to be together NOW. He drove all the way down here from Ohio and got her and took her back up to Ohio. His whole family knows her. None of his family is helping them. They won't let them stay together and they won't provide a solution. He has been paying rent for her at several places but none of them have worked out because she is too pretty and something always goes wrong. I love them both dearly and can't stand knowing that no one is helping them to get their feet under them. They eat once a day and most of the time sleep in their car. If they do get to sleep some where it is because they have spent several hours fighting with his mother or his father which live a part. My question is this: "if they leave Ohio and come live with me, her mother, what can his family do to me?" I believe in the state of Flordia you can be 17 and move out but he will be from Ohio so I don't know which state would be the deciding state. He only has 4 months and his family doesn't care about them and my heart is hurting knowing they are homeless up there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think you would do better by instructing your oh-so-pretty daughter that she needs to get her life in shape and not run off with an unemployed man/boy with no education to speak of.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He has been paying rent for her at several places but none of them have worked out because she is too pretty and something always goes wrong.
What on earth does this mean?

You could get in a lot of trouble if you allow him to come to FL and stay with you. Your daughter may also be in some hot water as soon as she turns 18, since he's a minor and his parents don't agree with the actions they've taken.

And if these two kids want to play house together, then they should be prepared to take care of themselves. Is your daughter in HS? Or has she dropped out? What about this kid? Has he dropped out, too? I'd be livid if either of them were mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">