• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I considered an adult under these circumstances?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saleen355

Am I considered an adult under these circumstances? Need Answer ASAP

Porter County, Indiana

My 18th birthday is on July 22nd, just a few more days. Currently I've been on juvenile probation since last September.

I understand that when I reach 18 I have reached "age of majority" and I am legally allowed to vote, sign binding contract, and take full responsibility of my actions. I'm scheduled to stay on juvenile probation until order of the court.

Now I am prepared to move out of my guardians' (grandparents) house when as soon as I'm 18. I do not believe I am making an irresponsible decision to move out on my birthday. There is a long story, but I do not have the time to explain. I've been working in the professional job market for a month now. I am a mechanical drafter, receiving a decent income for just starting too. I have been paying all my probation fees on my own without anyone's help.

Now, even though I will still be on juvenile probation, will I still be able to move out on my own? From what I researched when I'm 18 I am legally emancipated; That I am no longer under parental/guardian control, and they have no legal responsibility either. Now I know I am still obligated to follow all juvenile probation rules, and I will pay all fees I owe, and will attend all probation appointments. I am not ward of the state but just under guardianship. But I do not know if there is an exception since I'm on probation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">