• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i liable for my run away son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolly59

What is the name of your state? New York

My 16 years old son ran away from home about a month ago and refuses to come home. We talked to the police about it, and as far as we know he is ok (alive and well). I'm am worried as hell for him as you can imagine, and he supposedly is keeping in touch with our 14 year old daughter.
Well now the Police are telling us he is responsible for destroying property and vandalism (about $10,000 in damage) and that we are liable since he is a minor and that we have to pay for damages.
My question is, We haven't seen our son in at least a month, and he refuses to come home or talk contact me or his father directly, So are we obligated to pay for his damages if he is not in our custody? We also filed a missing persons after the 2nd day, since he didn't contact anyone in the family until after a week).
(also, the vandalism was city property, not private, if it makes a difference).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
dolly59 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My 16 years old son ran away from home about a month ago and refuses to come home. We talked to the police about it, and as far as we know he is ok (alive and well). I'm am worried as hell for him as you can imagine, and he supposedly is keeping in touch with our 14 year old daughter.
Well now the Police are telling us he is responsible for destroying property and vandalism (about $10,000 in damage) and that we are liable since he is a minor and that we have to pay for damages.
My question is, We haven't seen our son in at least a month, and he refuses to come home or talk contact me or his father directly, So are we obligated to pay for his damages if he is not in our custody? We also filed a missing persons after the 2nd day, since he didn't contact anyone in the family until after a week).
(also, the vandalism was city property, not private, if it makes a difference).
Yes you are responsible for your minor son's actions. YOu should have your son brought home and if not then arrested and put in juvenile detention. Your son does not get to dictate where he wants to live.

dolly59

How would I go about having him brought home? I don't even know where he is. I don't know what to do, I'm so confused. Do i just sit around and wait for the police to come back time and time again charging me for his crimes while he is out around town smashing things up? If they police arrest him, then good, they can take him away, but I'm not going to have a house left if he keeps causing all this damage.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
dolly59 said:
How would I go about having him brought home? I don't even know where he is. I don't know what to do, I'm so confused. Do i just sit around and wait for the police to come back time and time again charging me for his crimes while he is out around town smashing things up? If they police arrest him, then good, they can take him away, but I'm not going to have a house left if he keeps causing all this damage.
Report him to the police as a runaway/missing and ask that he be arrested if found. Due to the damage caused he should have a criminal record now and the police should be looking for him. Also it is time for you to have a long talk with your 14 year old daughter as she is keeping in touch with him. Have you contacted his friends, his school and all the places you know he has hung out, making sure that the owners of those places (or the employees or managers) know that your son is a runaway?

BL

Go down to your Local Family Court House and request a PINS Petition . Ask to speak with an advocate if they have one .

At 16 If he's arrested and convicted of the Crime , sentencing can include HIM being responsible for the Damage amount , and should be .

Find out as much info. as you can from the Court's ( trial Dates, Etc ) and be there , and ask to speak up , and make your son responsible .

Of course that does not preclude the Damaged party from suing you , since yes , he is a minor .

I would suggest consulting an attorney , to protect your interest .

INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN

Children who refuse to obey their parents are classified by the juvenile
laws of many states as incorrigible. The same label applies to children
who engage in behavior which is noncriminal, but prohibited for persons
of their age (for example, running away from home, chronic truancy or
endangering their own or another's health or morals).

Incorrigible children are often referred to as status offenders because
they would not be in court but for their status as minors. Incorrigible
children may be brought into the court system by police, welfare or
school officials or by parents seeking help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">