• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

another minor assaulted my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Christimarcl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

A 14 year old girl assaulted my 11 year old daughter. I have had problems in the past with this girl and have made police reports about her threatening my daughter and damaging my property (there was no proof she did it though). She was told by the police to stay away from my daughters and my property. Today she assaulted my daughter by grabbing her by the hair and punching her in the head. There were witnesses and my daughter had marks on her. I called the police. The officer that came told me there was basically nothing he could do because she is 14. He said it is usually handled by the parents. I told him i have asked her mother to keep her away but to no avail. I also do not get along with her family as they are hillbilly rednecks. He didn't even want to make a report but i asked him to anyway which he did. So my question is what kind of legal action can i take in this situation? I just don't believe there is nothing the police can do when she assaulted my daughter and there are witnesses and proof but maybe I'm wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

A 14 year old girl assaulted my 11 year old daughter. I have had problems in the past with this girl and have made police reports about her threatening my daughter and damaging my property (there was no proof she did it though). She was told by the police to stay away from my daughters and my property. Today she assaulted my daughter by grabbing her by the hair and punching her in the head. There were witnesses and my daughter had marks on her. I called the police. The officer that came told me there was basically nothing he could do because she is 14. He said it is usually handled by the parents. I told him i have asked her mother to keep her away but to no avail. I also do not get along with her family as they are hillbilly rednecks. He didn't even want to make a report but i asked him to anyway which he did. So my question is what kind of legal action can i take in this situation? I just don't believe there is nothing the police can do when she assaulted my daughter and there are witnesses and proof but maybe I'm wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What's a "hillbilly redneck," how can we recognize one, and why are they to be avoided?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I suppose you could try to apply for some kind of restraining order.

However, I share the other poster's implied concern that describing the other girl's family as "hillbilly rednecks" might indicate that you have some unpleasant biases. Your daughter may have absorbed some of your biases and acted ub a snobbish way that is contributing to the problem.

Heaven knows, although my child has thus far been a model student at school, there is one girl she has complained about for *years* who has inspired a lot of negativity with her prissy snobbery and disdain for the unrefined sort of girl (mine :D) who would eat an *entire* small ice cream cone and be oblivious to the chocolate on her face - rather than taking dainty licks between dainty dabbing of lips with napkin, and throwing half the ice cream out because to eat an entire ice cream cone, even the small size, is gluttonous and undignified. Kind of Laura Ingalls to Nellie Oleson.

xylene

Let's rehash the simple concept of what hillibie redneck is beacuse I'm sure it's lack of cultural respect that drives 14 year old girl to beat on an 11 year old.

LdiJ

Let's rehash the simple concept of what hillibie redneck is beacuse I'm sure it's lack of cultural respect that drives 14 year old girl to beat on an 11 year old.
Setting aside mom's obvious faux pas, the 14 year old assaulted the 11 year old and should have been arrested. I do not understand why the police refused to do so. I would be tempted to take it up the chain of command.

Christimarcl

I suppose you could try to apply for some kind of restraining order.

However, I share the other poster's implied concern that describing the other girl's family as "hillbilly rednecks" might indicate that you have some unpleasant biases. Your daughter may have absorbed some of your biases and acted ub a snobbish way that is contributing to the problem.

Heaven knows, although my child has thus far been a model student at school, there is one girl she has complained about for *years* who has inspired a lot of negativity with her prissy snobbery and disdain for the unrefined sort of girl (mine :D) who would eat an *entire* small ice cream cone and be oblivious to the chocolate on her face - rather than taking dainty licks between dainty dabbing of lips with napkin, and throwing half the ice cream out because to eat an entire ice cream cone, even the small size, is gluttonous and undignified. Kind of Laura Ingalls to Nellie Oleson.
If you only knew these people you would understand. I'm by no means stuck up or snobbish. We are a working class family who often lives paycheck to paycheck. My girls used to be friends with this girl actually until i realized what a bad influence she was. I asked her family to keep her away, very politely mind you, and that is when all the trouble started. She would constantly come up by our house and run her mouth. I've tried dealing directly with her family with no results so that is why i had to resort to calling the cops. They were very rude when i asked them to keep her away and told me they were going to "get some of their peoples on me and my family".

Christimarcl

I like how you can be SURE of what drove her to beat on my daughter. This girl is 14 but she is about 5'10" and my daughter is only 4'8". She is a bully, plain and simple.

commentator

Hillbilly/redneck...they are not mutually exclusive terms. You can be both, and or white trash as well. (Or not.) But I am having trouble understanding why your daughter cannot avoid this girl. "She would keep coming up by our house and running her mouth..." Do your daughters go out and interact with her? Do they live in close proximity to you? Do these girls have to ride the bus together? Where and why are they having continued contact with each other?

I was a little nipper like this, and I had trouble with a much older, much bigger girl bullying me and you know what? At the time I was doing everything back at her I could think of to do, including engaging my smart little mouth vigorously to provoke her. You can do a lot of talking, even when you're little and younger. Only when we were warned by school authorities and a huge fuss was made did we stay completely apart and thus end all interaction.

I likewise do not understand, unless there are some circumstances we aren't getting here, why the police officer would be unwilling to make a report of an assault by one much larger, older juvenile on another younger, smaller child.

Christimarcl

Hillbilly/redneck...they are not mutually exclusive terms. You can be both, and or white trash as well. (Or not.) But I am having trouble understanding why your daughter cannot avoid this girl. "She would keep coming up by our house and running her mouth..." Do your daughters go out and interact with her? Do they live in close proximity to you? Do these girls have to ride the bus together? Where and why are they having continued contact with each other?

I was a little nipper like this, and I had trouble with a much older, much bigger girl bullying me and you know what? At the time I was doing everything back at her I could think of to do, including engaging my smart little mouth vigorously to provoke her. You can do a lot of talking, even when you're little and younger. Only when we were warned by school authorities and a huge fuss was made did we stay completely apart and thus end all interaction.

I likewise do not understand, unless there are some circumstances we aren't getting here, why the police officer would be unwilling to make a report of an assault by one much larger, older juvenile on another younger, smaller child.
Yes her grandmother lives right down the street and she lives with her. I'm under no delusions that my daughter is an angel. She probably has run her mouth some. My daughter is afraid of this girl though because she is much bigger so i really can't see her starting too much with the other girl. There were witnesses to this and all 3 had the same story as my daughter so i know she isn't lying.

I was flabbergasted when the cop told me there was nothing he could do. I also don't understand why they can't do anything. That is why i was asking for advice. I don't have a lot of experience with the law so i was hoping by putting my story on here i could get some answers.

So far i haven't figured anything out. I believe she is going to be moving to an aunts house so I'm hoping that will end things but we'll see.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">