• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAFrustratedMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

16yo boy is being mentally and physically abused at home (there are never marks left). This boy is also responsible for watching 2yo, 6yo, and 14yo siblings 2 overnights a week with no adult (over 18yo) in the house while Mom and Step Dad work. Went to School Principal and School Counselor and still no call to Child & Youth Services to investigate and handle situation. Boy wants to leave home and live/stay with another family and finish school. Bio Dad is no help. Emancipation seems to be costly/timely.

Any PA Law advice?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Who are you in this situation? (P.S. Emancipation is not going to happen)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

16yo boy is being mentally and physically abused at home (there are never marks left). This boy is also responsible for watching 2yo, 6yo, and 14yo siblings 2 overnights a week with no adult (over 18yo) in the house while Mom and Step Dad work. Went to School Principal and School Counselor and still no call to Child & Youth Services to investigate and handle situation. Boy wants to leave home and live/stay with another family and finish school. Bio Dad is no help. Emancipation seems to be costly/timely.

Any PA Law advice?
Boy is not being abused. Boy being asked to 'watch' 2, 6, 14yo sibs overnight is not abuse. Boy is not legally going to leave home unless the parents allow it. :cool:

Antigone*

Any PA Law advice?
Absolutely nothing wrong with 16-yr old boy helping to take care of kids while mom and step dad work.

mmmagique

Absolutely nothing wrong with 16-yr old boy helping to take care of kids while mom and step dad work.
Two overnights a week to take care of 3 children (one of whom is 14 and may or may not listen to his "caregiver") seems like a dangerous situation to me. I wouldn't leave my two (tween to teen) children with a 16 year old two overnights every week. (or probably ever)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Two overnights a week to take care of 3 children (one of whom is 14 and may or may not listen to his "caregiver") seems like a dangerous situation to me. I wouldn't leave my two (tween to teen) children with a 16 year old two overnights every week. (or probably ever)
I really see no problem with this situation. <shrug>

Last edited:

CSO286

I did a ton over overnight babysitting when I was a teen.

mmmagique

I did a ton over overnight babysitting when I was a teen.
But every week? For two nights? It seems like a lot of responsibility for a child. (imo) I'm generally pretty laid back when it comes to child rearing, but this seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">