• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault/Battery in School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benevlan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: South Carolina

I'm 16 and I was charged with Assault and Battery, Disorderly Conduct, and Disturbing the Peace.

What Happened: I was being threatened over the phone by another 16 year old that has about 100lbs and a foot on me, and I just couldn't take it, and snapped. I walked out of the class I was in, went to his class, and hit him a good number of times, then we traded a few punches, then I retreated into the hallway, and the fight continued there for a bit, we wrestled, then after we were tired we both kind of separated. I got some water, then started walking back to where the administrators were. As I was doing this, I see him in a full sprint coming towards me again, so being exhausted, I ran past some janitors and they were able to grab him, but not before he clocks me one good time on the temple. He called me that night and we both apologized and made amends since we used to be friends and the whole situation was pretty stupid. No one got really injured. He hurt his hand a little bit by hitting me, got a nice knot on his head, as did I. The school resource officer told me since it was my first offence and I have never even been suspended that i'd probably not even have to go in front of a judge, but I'm still kind of nervous. What do you think the punishment will be?

Silverplum

I'm 16 and I was charged with Assault and Battery, Disorderly Conduct, and Disturbing the Peace.

What Happened: I was being threatened over the phone by another 16 year old that has about 100lbs and a foot on me, and I just couldn't take it, and snapped. I walked out of the class I was in, went to his class, and hit him a good number of times,
Right there, I'm done with your story.

If you were in school, in class, paying attention, you wouldn't be in this situation.

The End.

benevlan said:
then we traded a few punches, then I retreated into the hallway, and the fight continued there for a bit, we wrestled, then after we were tired we both kind of separated. I got some water, then started walking back to where the administrators were. As I was doing this, I see him in a full sprint coming towards me again, so being exhausted, I ran past some janitors and they were able to grab him, but not before he clocks me one good time on the temple. He called me that night and we both apologized and made amends since we used to be friends and the whole situation was pretty stupid. No one got really injured. He hurt his hand a little bit by hitting me, got a nice knot on his head, as did I. The school resource officer told me since it was my first offence and I have never even been suspended that i'd probably not even have to go in front of a judge, but I'm still kind of nervous. What do you think the punishment will be?
I sincerely hope it's Very Large and Long.

benevlan

I came here asking for advice, not for judgement. I know what I did was wrong, and I'd go back and change it if I could, but sadly that's not an option. Everyone makes mistakes and you don't have to be a dickhead about it.

Silverplum

I came here asking for advice, not for judgement. I know what I did was wrong, and I'd go back and change it if I could, but sadly that's not an option. Everyone makes mistakes and you don't have to be a dickhead about it.
Lots of kids like to term their stupid choices "mistakes." I don't agree. I call them "stupid choices."

Proserpina

A mistake is putting on different coloured socks in the morning.

Or adding whole milk instead of skim to your coffee.

Walking into a room and assaulting someone is not a mistake.

With that said, under which statute (numbers) have you been charged?

benevlan

Lots of kids like to term their stupid choices "mistakes." I don't agree. I call them "stupid choices."
Thanks for your input but it was neither helpful nor asked for, you can leave now.

Prosperina, I'm not sure the exact statutes, but like the OP said I was charged with Assault and Battery, Disorderly Conduct, and Disturbing the Peace.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask your attorney. These are serious charges. Don't talk to anyone else, and don't go around posting your confession on the internet (oops, too late.)

On the positive side it's good to see kids getting exercise these days and handling things the old fashioned way instead of using weapons :)

Ozark_Sophist

On the positive side it's good to see kids getting exercise these days and handling things the old fashioned way instead of using weapons :)
Tell that to the parents of the 10/11 year old girls who fought over a boy in a alley with nothing but their hands. One died. :(

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

What Happened: I was being threatened over the phone by another 16 year old that has about 100lbs and a foot on me, and I just couldn't take it, and snapped. I walked out of the class I was in, went to his class, and hit him a good number of times, then we traded a few punches, then I retreated into the hallway, and the fight continued there for a bit, we wrestled, then after we were tired we both kind of separated. I got some water, then started walking back to where the administrators were. As I was doing this, I see him in a full sprint coming towards me again, so being exhausted, I ran past some janitors and they were able to grab him, but not before he clocks me one good time on the temple. He called me that night and we both apologized and made amends since we used to be friends and the whole situation was pretty stupid. No one got really injured. He hurt his hand a little bit by hitting me, got a nice knot on his head, as did I. The school resource officer told me since it was my first offence and I have never even been suspended that i'd probably not even have to go in front of a judge, but I'm still kind of nervous. What do you think the punishment will be?
I hope you get locked up in DYS for quite a while for your stupidity.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You didn't have to a be a violent stupid moron. Mistake? YOU planned this. You planned to commit violence on someone in a school. Makes YOU the moron and the dh in this situation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Tell that to the parents of the 10/11 year old girls who fought over a boy in a alley with nothing but their hands. One died. :(
Yeah. So good that VIOLENCE of any type is acceptable. :rolleyes::eek: If you have to resort to violence you are showing your immaturity, ignorance, stupidity and inability to be productive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">