• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attemp Burglary and conspiracy to committ burglary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spanisheyes65

What is the name of your state? Nevada well I have a 16 yr old who was arrested for attempted burglary and conspiracy to committ burglary. He has never been in any type of trouble, and never had to go before any courts, please what may happen. we met with a juvenile probation officer and set the court date. I cant afford a attorney what should I do:confused: What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

outonbail

Is his case being heard in juvenile court?

What exactly did he do?

In Nevada, burglary can be charged whenever someone commits or intends to commit a crime inside a business, home, school etc. If he were to assault someone in a mall, he could also be charged with burglary because he committed a crime in the mall.

Many people charged with a crime in Nevada have burglary tagged on as well.

He should go to court, plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. I don't know where in Nevada your located, but Las Vegas does have some very good public defenders and court appointed lawyers.

If he was arrested with another person, the court will usually assign the public defender to one party and appoint a lawyer to the other party, so there is no conflict of interest problems.

An attorney will advise you what your son is facing. If he hasn't been in any trouble before now, the attorney should be able to get the charges reduced to petty larceny, trespassing or something of this nature.
The most likely outcome will include being on probation for a couple of years, 40 + hours of community service, a fine of several hundred dollars and possibly restitution to the victim, depending on what exactly he did.

After his case is settled, you will most likely be required to pay something for the public defender/court appointed attorney. They can put you on a monthly payment plan if you can't pay the amount in full. I would recommend paying for the attorney by monthly payments even if you could pay the whole thing off. This way your son can cut lawns, wash cars or deliver newspapers to make the monthly payment himself.

You want him to learn his lesson this time! So the more he has to suffer as a result of his actions, the better the chances are that he stays out of trouble in the future.
He needs to get this illegal conduct out of his blood before he turns eighteen or he'll have a tough road ahead of him.
Nevada doesn't play games with criminals. Everyone usually gets one chance at probation and staying out of trouble. Then it's jail time!
They give time off for good behavior and for work time unless someone's sentenced to flat time, then they do the whole sentence, period! They don't have federal kicks because of overcrowding or this type of thing. Nevada criminals do their time in jail! He needs to realize this.
So, you might even bring him to criminal court a few times as a spectator. Then he will see first hand just what can happen when someone continues to break the law.
Being in a court room, and witnessing the judge hand down a sentence of fifteen years in state prison to someone for residential burglary, can be a real eye opener!

Good luck!

spanisheyes65

attempt burg & consp to commit burglary

Thank you so very much for talking with me.He was with another person but he is a adult and in the county Jail. They said he (my son) was the look out he knocked on the door and then went to the car so his friend could go around the back of the house, but the owner of the house came out and saw them, my son ran to the back got his friend and they took off in my car, the extent of the break in was the other guy took the screen off and that was it. when they were pulled over mind you at gun point. he was arrested. Im not sure what the exact protocal for juveniles. now I have to get my car out of impound. and yes I will make sure he knows what he has done and this is verry serious. I'm wondering about a pro-bono program, i'm scared a PD will not do him justice. the only other thing he has done was break curfew but they did not do any thing, the charge was dropped and this was like3 yrs ago. he is a good kid.

outonbail

Maybe he was a good kid, but somewhere along the line he made a turn for the worse. Good kids don't commit residential burglary.

Both him and his friend are actually very lucky. Breaking into someone's home is a very good way to get yourself killed. Most people today are armed and seeing some stranger climbing in their window, is often a good reason for them to put their gun to use.

I hope he learns his lesson with this incident. Residential burglary will either get you locked up for a very long time, or it will get you killed. Eventually one or the other is going to happen!

Are you sure he hasn't done this before without getting caught?

Does he know if his partner has been doing these type of crimes before this? If so, does he know who his partner has robbed? Because that information could be his get out of jail free card. Or, another good way to get hurt,,,,, or worse.

spanisheyes65

He made a bad mistake.

Yes I know good kids dont do what he did. But he is a good kid, he just made a bad call and now he is goinig to pay for his mistake. Yes I have been questioning him in detail and his friend has been incarcerated for prior crimes similar to this. I am trying to get to the bottom of it all, but his friend is an adult and he to is locked up. right now my main concern is my son and what he will be going thru. what do you think his chances are of not going to jail on his first go round. also the police messed his wrists up we are taking him to the doctors. they also verbally abused him to unrealistic measures. I know he was way wrong in what he did, but I believe they were also in the wrong.
thanks for talking with me.
Sylvia

outonbail

Yes I know good kids dont do what he did. But he is a good kid, he just made a bad call and now he is goinig to pay for his mistake. Yes I have been questioning him in detail and his friend has been incarcerated for prior crimes similar to this. I am trying to get to the bottom of it all, but his friend is an adult and he to is locked up. right now my main concern is my son and what he will be going thru. what do you think his chances are of not going to jail on his first go round.
I would think that he will most likely not have to do much jail time. They may sentence him to six months in Juvy and then suspend the sentence and place him on probation. The terms of his probation can include doing community service, paying fines, getting counseling or attending classes of some type. Can also include regular drug screening if they suspect him of partaking in any control substances. (which is often the case with kids who steal and rob houses) Now if he gets in trouble again while he's on probation, or he doesn't do the community service or violates the terms of his probation in any way, then he would have to serve the sentence which was suspended so he could get a shot at probation and prove he's a good kid. So if he had a six month sentence hanging over his head and violated probation, he would then be taken into custody to do his six months.
So until this whole situation is behind him, there's always the chance he'll be locked up.
also the police messed his wrists up we are taking him to the doctors. they also verbally abused him to unrealistic measures. I know he was way wrong in what he did, but I believe they were also in the wrong.
You don't want to go into court with the attitude that the police were out of line. You want to be sure your son takes responsibility for his actions.

Look at it this way, you should be glad you received a call from the abusive police, rather than the nice coroner!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">