• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatic Emancipation Laws in AL and AZ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frustrated Mom

What is the name of your state? AL

OK, my son got 6 mos probation, community service, a suspended sentence and now has to get a GED and a job according to the Judges Order. Has been home one week and doing ok, but won't stop talking about the 17 year old "bearing his child" on the streets of Arizona. Wants me to bring her here - but I said NO! I've looked up shelters, pregnancy help and etc in Tucson and given it to him, but he has no way to communicate with her and won't accept that she might just have already sought help there - insists he has to go help her, although it will violate his probation and living on the streets again! I've gotten him medical help for his bi-polar (if he takes the meds), enrolled him in the GED program, taken him for his community service work and am trying to find him a job so he can save money to help himself AND her with...but I'm not sure how long he will stay.

I'm sorry for the girl, and definitely worry about the baby. Considering now a compromise with him to give him permission to marry her (if her parents will agree) in Arizona so the baby can be legitimate, she will have some monetary and emotional help and he will stop (what appears to be) agonizing over her suffering alone - all this IF I can work it out with the PO for him to go up there and her parents agree. Don't know where they would live, but they could possible stay with his aunt here in her house...if I can convince him to return from the streets of Tucson.

My question is - is marriage automatic emancipation in Arizona AND Alabama? I don't want it (he DEFINITELY needs my help to get a better start in life) but I'm afraid he will eventually just runaway again to find her, possibly buy some fake IDs for them, marry any way ...and we'll be right back where we started again with the lawyers fees, transportation costs, court costs, etc for a probation violation. AND if I am the one to give him persmission to marry does that mean I remain responsible for him in his legal battles...what DOES automatic emancipation mean???

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">