• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail Jumping in Juvenile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

js123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Can a juvenile be charged with bail jumping if there has been no bail money involved in their release from custody? The juvenile system doesn't really have bail does it?
My 17 year old was released on an ankle monitor. He somehow got it off and has disappeared (out of our locked house, like the Houdini he is). Which is basically what I told the court would happen...but they went ahead with it anyway...
A police officer indicated he 'might' also get charged with bail jumping now but he didn't really seem sure either.

Silverplum

Can a juvenile be charged with bail jumping if there has been no bail money involved in their release from custody? The juvenile system doesn't really have bail does it?
My 17 year old was released on an ankle monitor. He somehow got it off and has disappeared (out of our locked house, like the Houdini he is). Which is basically what I told the court would happen...but they went ahead with it anyway...
A police officer indicated he 'might' also get charged with bail jumping now but he didn't really seem sure either.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/520-00/070.PDF

"A person is guilty of bail jumping in the first degree when, having been released from custody by court order, with or without bail, upon condition that he will subsequently appear at a specified time and place in connection with a charge of having committed a felony, he intentionally fails to appear at that time and place."

Antigone*

This is not good for your son. I hope for his sake and for your that he has an attorney.

js123

Ok. They're not felonies, but I assume there's a 'Second Degree' about misdemeanors. So it's not actually about complying with any additional conditions of release, it doesn't kick in until he fails to turn up for court?
But it's obviously a problem to be off the monitor anyway, whether there's an additional charge or not.

Antigone - ugh, who'd know if he really cares. He knows all too well that the juvie system only has enough money to smack him on the hand and tell him "don't be bad".
It is the most frustrating thing. And sad. He hasn't figured out yet that it's game over the moment he turns 18, and all this crap now actually will matter...

dave33

Ok. They're not felonies, but I assume there's a 'Second Degree' about misdemeanors. So it's not actually about complying with any additional conditions of release, it doesn't kick in until he fails to turn up for court?
But it's obviously a problem to be off the monitor anyway, whether there's an additional charge or not.

Antigone - ugh, who'd know if he really cares. He knows all too well that the juvie system only has enough money to smack him on the hand and tell him "don't be bad".
It is the most frustrating thing. And sad. He hasn't figured out yet that it's game over the moment he turns 18, and all this crap now actually will matter...
Taking off the monitor is a bail violation. He does NOT have to miss a court date to be in violation.

When caught he will most likely sit in jail until the matter is resolved.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I reread your previous thread. Do you have any idea were he might be? Sounds like he really needs a come to Jesus moment. Best of luck to you.

js123

Ok, thanks Dave33. Well, he may sit in juvie for 'some' of the time...

Thanks stealth2, I have some ideas, the police know some places to look. I'm sure he hasn't gone far. Yes, he needs something, that's for sure.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok, thanks Dave33. Well, he may sit in juvie for 'some' of the time...

Thanks stealth2, I have some ideas, the police know some places to look. I'm sure he hasn't gone far. Yes, he needs something, that's for sure.
In addition to bail jumping, he might find himself with other charges related to destroying or tampering with state property (the ankle monitor).

js123

Thanks for that information. I searched for that and that's a felony...fantastic. The monitor is still in one piece (don't ask me how) but removing it counts too. Oh what a great idea

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">