• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend issued restraining order, when does it expire?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emilyrushing

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi, I'm Emily. I'm 17, and very in love with my boyfriend (27) who just got served a restraining order. Thanks to my parents, I cannot see or communicate with him. When does the restraining order run out, and can I get it taken off when I turn 18? Please give all the info you can, I really need this help.
I know everyone may not agree with our relationship, and say that he (or I) have issues and need therapy, but please put your opinions aside on this one. I love him with all my heart.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The restraining order runs out when it says it runs out. We don't have it in front of us; we have no way of knowing.

Your parents were very smart. No matter how much in love with him you might be, there are reasons why a 27 year old want to be with a 17 year old, and none of them are good. If there wasn't something seriously wrong with him, he'd be with a woman his own age.

I'm not denying your feelings, but you would be much better off with someone closer to your own age.

emilyrushing

Thank you for your answer and concern. I have one last question.

Do other states reconize restraning orders that were made in other places?
I'll be moving to NC soon for college, and I was wondering if he visited me there, is it a violation of the restraning ordeR?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, he would still be in violation of the order. Unless the order specifically says that it is only valid in your state, a restraining order is a restraining order.

Other states WILL recognize the order.

Wolflmg

Yes, I'm sure the other states will. If not, I'm sure your parents will issue another one.

Bit of advice kid. Your 17, I'm sure you think your in love, and know everything there is to life. Believe you don't know everything. Most 27 year old guys aren't hanging around 17 year olds, because their in love, there only wanting something and once they have what they want their done.

I would suggest finding someone closer to your age, someone that you can relate more with. I believe your parents made a wise decision. Hopefully in time you'll see that, otherwise you'll end up learning the hard way.

Rushia

Wolflmg said:
Yes, I'm sure the other states will. If not, I'm sure your parents will issue another one.

Bit of advice kid. Your 17, I'm sure you think your in love, and know everything there is to life. Believe you don't know everything. Most 27 year old guys aren't hanging around 17 year olds, because their in love, there only wanting something and once they have what they want their done.

I would suggest finding someone closer to your age, someone that you can relate more with. I believe your parents made a wise decision. Hopefully in time you'll see that, otherwise you'll end up learning the hard way.
Ditto.. If you love him then why would you risk him going to jail for violating the restraining order?

emilyrushing

I'm not risking him going to jail, that's why I'm finding out all this information before I do anything.
Duh.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Luck?

Rushia

emilyrushing said:
I'm not risking him going to jail, that's why I'm finding out all this information before I do anything.
Duh.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Luck?
Hon, what do you thing a restraining order is? The two of you are forbidden to contact each other in anyway. What you are trying to do is look for a loophole. If your parents are as caring as I see them to be, you won't find one.

Go to college, date boys your own age, be safe, have fun and enjoy your youth. If it is meant to be, you'll hook back up when you are older. That is the only luck I wish for you.

Wolflmg

Rushia said:
Hon, what do you thing a restraining order is? The two of you are forbidden to contact each other in anyway. What you are trying to do is look for a loophole. If your parents are as caring as I see them to be, you won't find one.

Go to college, date boys your own age, be safe, have fun and enjoy your youth. If it is meant to be, you'll hook back up when you are older. That is the only luck I wish for you.
Yeah ten years is a big gap. Theres a differance between being 17 and dateing a 27 year old and then being 22 and dateing a 32 year old.

Most 17 year olds, think they know everything and can do everything. I know I have a 17 year old sister. By the time your 22 you'll have a couple of years of college under your belt and would be able to handle a relationship with an older guy.

But I'm sure your parents have more then he's too old to be dateing you as their reason for the restraining order. So even when your old enough, it still might not be a good idea to get with this guy.

justnotme

Just wanted to pipe in on this one. I was in the same position i liked a guy who was ten years older when i was 17. I didn't do anything about it and of course he didn't either...now i'm 21 and we will be married in october. Wait til you're a little older..We started dating when i was 19. My sister is 17 and i would freak if she was dating a 27 year old man...or even someone who was 5 or 6 years older and my parents would do the same thing!!

AHA

OP, the guys that you will be surrounded by in college is going to make a 27 year old look like an old fart...................and who wants to be with that!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">