• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking and Entering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kitsune205

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

First off, I'm 17 - my 18th birthday is in November and I haven't lived with my family for almost a year now.
A few days ago a friend of mine and I did something very stupid. We saw that a window was open at a Church we used to go and decided to go inside through that window and have a look around. We had no intent of stealing anything or damaging anything. Shortly after entering the room, the alarm was set off and we took off.
My friend was arrested that night and held on a $2,000 Bail (He is on Probation) I know he's in some serious trouble but I"m asking about me... I got away that night and was talked to the next day. I answered some questions and made the even stupider mistake of admitting to going into the church (I signed no statement, however.) through the open window (The cop was very specific about the fact that the window was open.) and I said I'd go to the station to answer more questions at which point I said I wanted a lawyer (They told me I had to make my own arrangements). I then said I'd talk to them, and later said I wanted a lawyer again, and then I said I'd talk to them at which point they said I had "shut them down legally twice" and that they were going to take me back to work.
According to Michigan Law I can't be charged with breaking and entering because the window was already open and therefore no force was applied... I will answer ANY and ALL questions anyone will have regarding this. For the record, I know I'm an idiot... I'm curious as to what the worst case scenario is and what steps I should take from here. Also I'd like to know what you guys would think is more likely.

Thank you so much for the help,
Kitsune

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

First off, I'm 17 - my 18th birthday is in November and I haven't lived with my family for almost a year now.
A few days ago a friend of mine and I did something very stupid. We saw that a window was open at a Church we used to go and decided to go inside through that window and have a look around. We had no intent of stealing anything or damaging anything. Shortly after entering the room, the alarm was set off and we took off.
My friend was arrested that night and held on a $2,000 Bail (He is on Probation) I know he's in some serious trouble but I"m asking about me... I got away that night and was talked to the next day. I answered some questions and made the even stupider mistake of admitting to going into the church (I signed no statement, however.) through the open window (The cop was very specific about the fact that the window was open.) and I said I'd go to the station to answer more questions at which point I said I wanted a lawyer (They told me I had to make my own arrangements). I then said I'd talk to them, and later said I wanted a lawyer again, and then I said I'd talk to them at which point they said I had "shut them down legally twice" and that they were going to take me back to work.
According to Michigan Law I can't be charged with breaking and entering because the window was already open and therefore no force was applied... I will answer ANY and ALL questions anyone will have regarding this. For the record, I know I'm an idiot... I'm curious as to what the worst case scenario is and what steps I should take from here. Also I'd like to know what you guys would think is more likely.

Thank you so much for the help,
Kitsune
It doesn't matter whether the window was open or not:

750.115 Breaking and entering or entering without breaking; buildings, tents, boats, railroad cars; entering public buildings when expressly denied.

Sec. 115.

(1) Any person who breaks and enters or enters without breaking, any dwelling, house, tent, hotel, office, store, shop, warehouse, barn, granary, factory or other building, boat, ship, railroad car or structure used or kept for public or private use, or any private apartment therein, or any cottage, clubhouse, boat house, hunting or fishing lodge, garage or the out-buildings belonging thereto, any ice shanty with a value of $100.00 or more, or any other structure, whether occupied or unoccupied, without first obtaining permission to enter from the owner or occupant, agent, or person having immediate control thereof, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">