• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother of a 17 year old about to runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr.mustang

What is the name of your state? california
hi,im 20 years old and my younger brother, who is 17,is in a residental facility(level 12 i think) and i overherd one of his phone calls while he was home for a weekend visit,and it troubled me. He is planning to run away from his placement till his birthday in december ,but he is on informal probation for petty theft.his probation is up in october.i was in his shoes when i was young and i know about group homes and the stuff that goes on there,so i dont blame him for wanting to run away. and he is fully capeable of living on his own.but what worries me is will his juvinlie probation stuff be carried over his 18th birth day? does that stuff go away as soon as you are 18? because im almost sure its a major probation violation to run away and skip probation hearings.will it be expunged when he is 18? because i really dont want him messing stuff up in his adult life and i dont think he would do well in county jail and i want to warn him of what he is getting him self into. thx for the replys

Last edited:

I'm fairly certain that those types of things don't just "go away" once a person turns 18. If he is non-compliant as far as his probation goes (and I would assume that running away from the home will be breaking the terms and conditions of his probation, yes?) he could end up in jail which is worse than a group home by miles.

mr.mustang

i know for a fact when you run away from a facility a warrant is issued because i left a facility 3 weeks before my 18th and i was stopped by a cop a while back for a traffic stop and he ran my name and nothing came up.its the probation thing that stumps me. i cant picture someone being in county jail for violating juvinile probation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">