• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bullying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

Not sure if this should go here, or under Landlord Tenant issues.

A friend has a special needs child who is being bullied at the park on the apartment complex that they live at. Her child is 9, bully is 14. The bully doesn't live at the apartment complex.

When she has confronted the bully he spit on her.

When she confronted the property management, they said that they would have the child banned from the property, until they saw that the child was African American, then they said that they could not do it. I guess they are worried about getting sued.

She sits with her kids while they play, but nothing deters the bully from pushing around the 9 year old.

What are her options? She doesn't know where the kid lives.

Gum_Drop

Could she call the police? If the child puts his hands on hers isnt that some form of assault?

If so then the police should be able to find out who he is and where he lives.

I guess that is my question...

Will the police actually get involved if the child is pushing her child...or would there actually have to be bruising etc?

Gum_Drop

I am not really sure but what could it hurt? Police are called and respond for anything, and I am sure when the mother explains the sitution, and what she has done to correct this on her own, the officer may talk with the child.

CdwJava

Ithildriel said:
Will the police actually get involved if the child is pushing her child...or would there actually have to be bruising etc?
Pushing another against their will is the crime of battery in CA (a violation of PC 242). Bruising is not necessary. If mom witnesses this, she can sign a citizen's arrest against the teenager. Additionally, if she CAN find out who the child is, then she can obtain a restraining order against the child.

And if the apartment management wishes to side with an off-property bully assaulting their residents, perhaps it is time to move.

- Carl

nextwife

I'd also suggest she keep either a cameraphone or a digital camera/camcorder (mine will take video clips with sound if I have a good sized memory card in it) to record any physical aggression or verbal assault.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">