• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA&NV- Emancipated by marriage with mother's permission when father has legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pazzie

CA&NV- Emancipated by marriage with mother's permission when father has legal custody

Hello,

I'm a 16 year old girl and I recently got married in Nevada on 8/26 (on my actual birthday). A week before I ran away from my father after a nasty court battle when my sister tried to gain guardianship of me. She obviously lost, but a police officer gave me some advice that I should run away in a few days after I'm in my father's custody. I do so, and I'm able to go somewhere safe for the time being. Well, my family got tired of the responsibility of me (they tend to push it off on others) they had the idea to emancipate me by marriage. My boyfriend and I agree because we're both desperate to find a safe and stable place for me. My mother, who has no custody at all, takes us to Nevada and we get married. We have plans to move into together while he continues school full time and works and I do the same. We're just waiting for a grant to come in.

Well, today I found out from my sister that my father and his horrid wife staked out in front of their house and handed out missing person’s fliers. We know that they'll be coming here tomorrow and do the same thing. Neighbors may or may not say anything, but if they do I'm sure my father and his wife will come knocking at the door with the police and who ever will be home (mother or old, senile grandparents of my stepfather) wont lie to the police (for the better I suppose). I plan to be out of the house all day and most of the night tomorrow. My family insists I call my father and tell him what’s going on with me.

Bottom line: I want to keep out marriage secret because I do not want it to be challenged. Is the marriage really legitimate? Can my father take me back?

Thanks so much and I really hope someone can help me out soon! =]]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">