• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California minor concerned about drinking and academics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stutz

Hi,
I am a 16 year old living in the state of California and had a question which I was hoping someone could answer. I am considering attending High School parties which have alcohol at them and was intending to drink as well. Should i get caught, would this have any negative effects on my academic career(I am a straight A student planning on attending a good college). Thank you for the information in advance.

quincy

Yes, it could have an affect on your academic career.

Several high school seniors here in Michigan, who were honor students and pre-accepted to prestigious universities (University of Michigan, Princeton, Notre Dame), had their admissions cancelled because they were arrested for underage drinking at a senior party.

Committing a crime is never a great idea. Save your drinking for when you are legally able to drink (and avoid all parties where minors will be drinking).

CdwJava

There are legal repercussions to underage drinking ... and, of course, the very risky end which includes putting your life and others at risk when you engage in this activity.

However, I seriously doubt that you will really care what a group of anonymous adults on a legal chat board have to say and you will - in the end- go to the parties if you want to. The repercussions likely seem too remote to have too great an impact on your decision making process.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This kid sounds like one of mine. Very booksmart - but little common sense :(

xylene

Hi,
I am a 16 year old living in the state of California and had a question which I was hoping someone could answer. I am considering attending High School parties which have alcohol at them and was intending to drink as well. Should i get caught, would this have any negative effects on my academic career(I am a straight A student planning on attending a good college). Thank you for the information in advance.
Advice?

If you do this:

DO NOT DRIVE TO THE PARTY OR RIDE IN A CAR LEAVING THE PARTY

Walk there and back. ONLY.

Before conisdering any partying: Drink at least 2 drinks alone and at home so you know what happens to your body. (and obviously I mean not on the night or day of the party)

Make absolutely certain that any drink comes from a closed container you have control of at all times.

Do not drink more than 1 drink an hour, and absolutely do not drink more that 4 drinks at a party.

Don't EVER be goaded into taking drinks you don't want.

Make sure you have eaten before going to the party, and that you snack while at the party.

If their are no snacks, well its a good bet it isn't a safe party.

Space drinks with NA beverages. (water, soda, NA beer...)

If you get a mood that something is unsafe, just leave.

Don't be part of the last crew to leave a party, and don't be the first person there. It is called fashionably late and a tasteful exit. This does several things.

1) you won't be at the party as long, so more fun with less time to feel pressured to booze.
2) peer pressure, since you got there later, you can say you were drinking earlier if you feel pressured to drink.
3) You'll have more of your wits about you, will others will be more drunk.
4) by leaving early, you reduce the pressure of drunkness that increases later and later as you and the revelers natural inhibitions relax as a simple function of tiredness.
5) Staying too late increase the probabilty of police.
6) Leaving at a reasonable hour would show any reasonable person that, basically, you aren't a drunken party animal.

If you are confronted by police, act polite and defferential and express a desire to leave.

Don't lie to the police, but don't admit to anything. In general, be respectful and just get lost.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Walk there and back. ONLY.
Which would leave our young friend wandering the streets subject to Curfew and public intox. stops...
(but, yes, helps to avoid driving drunk or riding with a drunk driver and all the unpleasantness that can go with that)

CdwJava

Which would leave our young friend wandering the streets subject to Curfew and public intox. stops...
(but, yes, helps to avoid driving drunk or riding with a drunk driver and all the unpleasantness that can go with that)
We have two great sources of parties: My Space and dumb revelers.

We may not have any idea that the party is going on until we observe three or four guys standing around outside either trying to hide their cups or ditching them, or, (as is often the case) relieving themselves in the bushes.

And, of course, announcing parties on My Space is a great way to attract attention! (Yeah, cops, parents, and school staff check My Space. Really great when there is a pic of the highschool football team - in uniform - all slamming brewskies!)

- Carl

Stutz

Thanks for the replies, but let me add a few things. I have had alcohol and a good amount recently as I have just traveled to Germany where the legal age is 16, therefore I know my limitations and will be responsible. I am also not concerned about any of the fines jailtime or community service I will have to face for my crime. The first post was close to what I was looking for but on that a few questions about accuracy. Since that is Michigan does it apply the same to California? and does being under 18 protect me in someway that the seniors in Michigan would not have been protected by if they were 18. I also thank the rest of you for your help but remote legal implications have been hinted and I am wondering if there will be any effect that colleges may see etc. as I do not want to jeopardize my academic career.
Thanks again!

quincy

It is not just a "Michigan thing". All colleges look, not only at school grades and test scores and school-related extracurricular activities, but at a student's successful performance and behavior in and out of school. All colleges can revoke offers of admission, or not offer admission at all, when a student has shown a decline in grades or school performance their last semester of school, or if anything occurs during their high school years, in or out of school, that reflects poorly on the student.

An arrest for underage drinking reflects poorly on the student. A lack of concern about having to go to jail or do community service or pay a fine for an illegal act reflects poorly on the student. There will be repercussions for the student at the high school, and repercussions for the student when applying for colleges. A college will not consider such a student serious about school or ready for college.

In addition, being allowed to drink legally in Germany does not make you able to drink legally in California. And "responsible drinking" means being responsible about following the drinking laws. If you know your "limitations" you must, therefore, know that until you are legally of age, your limit is zero.

By the way, all of the Michigan honor students arrested were under the age of 18 - one was class president and had near-perfect ACT and SAT scores. All of the students were suspended from school, and the suspensions and the arrests were put on their permanent high school records (which colleges view).

CdwJava

Underage consumption and possession of alcohol in CA is a misdemeanor criminal offense. It can result in a license suspension, fines, community service, and probation. All of these can negatively impact scholarships and applications to schools.

Party hearty at your own risk.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">