• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 16 yr old move out of their parents house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York
My daughter has a friend who is 15 and her mother is verbally and sometimes physically abusive. Per "history", this 15 year old loves mother and doesn't want her to get into trouble so 15 year old doesn't say anything to the authorities. Mother has 15 year old looking like a PINS. 15 year old would love to move into my home and I don't have a problem with that but at 15 I know the mother could get the 15 year old back and possibly have a PINS filed. Would 15 be able to move in with me at 16 without consent with mother. I know in the 80's I was able to move out and my mother couldn't do anything about it as long as I went to school and staied out of trouble. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

O

OhBullship

oiseeyuronhere said:
What is the name of your state? New York
My daughter has a friend who is 15 and her mother is verbally and sometimes physically abusive. Per "history", this 15 year old loves mother and doesn't want her to get into trouble so 15 year old doesn't say anything to the authorities. Mother has 15 year old looking like a PINS. 15 year old would love to move into my home and I don't have a problem with that but at 15 I know the mother could get the 15 year old back and possibly have a PINS filed. Would 15 be able to move in with me at 16 without consent with mother. I know in the 80's I was able to move out and my mother couldn't do anything about it as long as I went to school and staied out of trouble. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:
No, she cannot move in with you without her mothers consent and you could get yourself in trouble by allowing her to stay with you if she leaves home without consent.

You wrote that she doesn't want her mother to get into trouble but if she is being abused there needs to be intervention. You can call CPS with any proof of abuse that you have if you fear for the child, that way she doesn't have to.

OhBullship said:
No, she cannot move in with you without her mothers consent and you could get yourself in trouble by allowing her to stay with you if she leaves home without consent.

You wrote that she doesn't want her mother to get into trouble but if she is being abused there needs to be intervention. You can call CPS with any proof of abuse that you have if you fear for the child, that way she doesn't have to.
If CPS gets involved, would this child be able to live with me? And what would happen to her siblings? And what if 15 still won't confirm or deny alligations? Previously 15 told a social worker that came to the house that she shouldn't tell anyone what her mother does in her home because it could cause more trouble and her mother will get into trouble. The mother has flat out lied about her and my daughter and I have talked to her about this and told her to keep her thoughts about my daughter to herself. She is a school bus driver and has previously smoked crack, I don't know if she still does or not. She allows her older 16 year old daughter to smoke pot and spend the night at her boyfriends house for days on end. Mother receives a support check for 15 year old and has taken the family out for dinner and not fed 15 year old. My daughter has had to take feminin products to school for 15 year old because mother won't buy them for her. And now 15 year old is being forced to go without glasses because the dog chewed hers and mother won't get her new ones. 15 year old is basically needed by mother to watch 2 younger children so she can go party with her husband who is almost 20 years younger. Mother is supposed to be on medication and doesn't take regularly and has violent episodes. How does anyone prove this if child is affraid to say anything. Mother has told 15 year old that if anything is said she will have it worse if she is still living with mother. I can't get this child to believe me that I will be there to help. This is really a good kid in a very seriously bad situation. The school and all the other authorities see one thing and inside the house is another thing. When was the 16 rule disolved?? I don't understand.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
CPS would likely not place the child with a non-relative or someone not certified as a foster parent. If the 15yo refuses to cooperate and there is no outward evidence of abuse/neglect - there's not a hell of a lot anyone can do.

As for moving out at 16 - it's likely that your mother didn't pursue it. But kids don't decide. And when they leave home before they're legally adults - they're called runaways, and anyone helping them can get in legal trouble.

Wolflmg

She might be able to. But more then likely she would go into foster care if there isn't another relative willing to take her in.
You or she needs to tell someone she is being abusived. Her mother needs help and if she really loves her mom she needs to tell someone what is going on so that her mother can get the help she need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">