• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 17 year old consent to sex with a 30 year old in Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lord08ball

Alabama Law.

Can a 17 year old consent to sex with a 30 year old in the state of Alabama, and if so can the parents of the minor file anything legally against the older?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I believe that age of consent is 16 in AL, but it could still be an issue, depending who the 30yo is...

mistoffolees

I believe that age of consent is 16 in AL, but it could still be an issue, depending who the 30yo is...
Yep. Age of consent is 16. Note, however, that the age of majority in AL is 19, so the parents still have quite a bit of time that they can take action to get a restraining order against the adult.

OP, who are you in this case? If you're the adult, you really need to stay away. You have no business messing around with a 16 year old. If you're the child, stay away, anyway. A 30 year old sniffing around a 16 year old is no catch. Believe me.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Alabama Law.

Can a 17 year old consent to sex with a 30 year old in the state of Alabama, and if so can the parents of the minor file anything legally against the older?
Age of Consent in Bama is 16. Age of Majority in Bama is 19. So, yes, though you could have sex with a 16 year old and not be charged, the parents could file for restraining orders, and if they really pushed it, Interference with Custody.

Section 13A-6-45
Interference with custody.

(a) A person commits the crime of interference with custody if he knowingly takes or entices:

(1) Any child under the age of 18 from the lawful custody of its parent, guardian or other lawful custodian, or

(2) Any committed person from the lawful custody of its parent, guardian or other lawful custodian. "Committed person" means, in addition to anyone committed under judicial warrant, any neglected, dependent or delinquent child, mentally defective or insane person or any other incompetent person entrusted to another's custody by authority of law.

(b) A person does not commit a crime under this section if the actor's sole purpose is to assume lawful control of the child.

The burden of injecting the issue is on the defendant, but this does not shift the burden of proof.

(c) Interference with custody is a Class C felony.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2215; Acts 1983, No. 83-571, p. 877.)
Section 13A-6-45

Section 13A-5-6
Sentences of imprisonment for felonies.

(a) Sentences for felonies shall be for a definite term of imprisonment, which imprisonment includes hard labor, within the following limitations:

(1) For a Class A felony, for life or not more than 99 years or less than 10 years.

(2) For a Class B felony, not more than 20 years or less than 2 years.

(3) For a Class C felony, not more than 10 years or less than 1 year and 1 day.

(4) For a Class A felony in which a firearm or deadly weapon was used or attempted to be used in the commission of the felony, or a Class A felony criminal sex offense involving a child as defined in Section 15-20-21(5), not less than 20 years.

(5) For a Class B or C felony in which a firearm or deadly weapon was used or attempted to be used in the commission of the felony, or a Class B felony criminal sex offense involving a child as defined in Section 15-20-21(5), not less than 10 years.

(b) The actual time of release within the limitations established by subsection (a) of this section shall be determined under procedures established elsewhere by law.

(c) In addition to any penalties heretofore or hereafter provided by law, in all cases where an offender is designated as a sexually violent predator pursuant to Section 15-20-25.3, or where an offender is convicted of a Class A felony criminal sex offense involving a child as defined in Section 15-20-21(5), and is sentenced to a county jail or the Alabama Department of Corrections, the sentencing judge shall impose an additional penalty of not less than 10 years of post-release supervision to be served upon the defendant's release from incarceration.
(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §1225; Acts 1981, No. 81-840, p. 1505; Act 2005-301, 1st Sp. Sess., §1.)
Section 13A-5-6

NellieBly

Why can't these grown men be content to merely date their teenybopper girlfriends the year or two or five it takes them to become of legal age?

By "date" I mean real dates like real people have.

Out of respect, you know.

Alex1176

Why can't these grown men be content to merely date their teenybopper girlfriends the year or two or five it takes them to become of legal age?

By "date" I mean real dates like real people have.

Out of respect, you know.
About what can talk a 30 y/o man and a 13-15 y/o teenybopper? She maybe looks like a woman but has brains and maturity of a kitten. Why would he date her if there is no sex?
I really can not understand those guys. Why are they doing something so risky and dangerous? The last time a checked, there are a lot of gorgeous women 18 and up. Just be nice, hygienic, have a steady income, and you can get one for yourself.

NellieBly

About what can talk a 30 y/o man and a 13-15 y/o teenybopper? She maybe looks like a woman but has brains and maturity of a kitten. Why would he date her if there is no sex?
I really can not understand those guys. Why are they doing something so risky and dangerous? The last time a checked, there are a lot of gorgeous women 18 and up. Just be nice, hygienic, have a steady income, and you can get one for yourself.
I was being sarcastic, of course.

With my long ago boyfriend, I couldn't wait to get older so we could be seen in public together and go on real dates, but by then he was gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">