• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a child who is 17 leave home without a Guardians consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VBlum

I'm seventeen years old and I live in Utah. My Grandparents who adopted me passed away in March; my Grandfather on March 30th and my Grandmother the 31st.
After that we read their wills and my Aunt was appointed guardian by them, although if she can't fulfill her responsibilities as a guardian I would go live in Colorado or Idaho with either of their siblings.
My Aunt retained guardianship on May 29th but as we are into almost 26 days or so into our guardianship, I have found that it's not working out between us. I can't go to school, I can't get a a job and I can't go out with friends because she has me stay home and watch her 5 year old child all day while she goes to work. I do this without pay. I'm a fairly good child other than the teenage attitude that occasionally comes out, I don't do drugs, drink or anything of the sort. Whatever she asks I do and I do it, most of the time, without attitude.
I have talked to my Mother, who I was told not to have contact with by my Grandparents, for over two years this coming August. We have had the best relationship for the past two years. She has helped me with school when I was enrolled, she's helped me out mentally and emotionally. She tried to gain custody over me sometime last year but you can't revoke an adoption. Well, now that they have passed and my Aunt has guardianship, we'd like to revoke her guardianship and have my Mother become my guardian. My Mother has my best interest as my Aunt does not, which is why I'd prefer her to be my guardian.
My question is if I left my house with all of my stuff and just said I wanted to stay there, what would happen to our chances of her getting guardianship? And also, what would happen just in general? Could they force me to go home? As soon as she finds out that I left and that I'm with my Mother, she won't be very pleased and she'll be a very upset woman to be around but it would be the same amount of anger if she found out that my Mom was getting guardianship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">