• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can her mother TRUELY do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HereticalSaint

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a 17yo male, and the mother of my (ex/gf/should have been back together...) is attempting to file a restraining order against me. The girl, whom I speak of, is also 17, however will be turning 18 in less than 4 months.
The order is grounded upon her mother's personal dislike for me, and her daughter having snuck out to come see me because she was depressed, and is often verbally, and occasionally physically, abused by her mother. I realize exactly how cliche this sounds, but the girl is the love of my life... We had previously been together for approximatly two years before outside influences forced us to temporarily split.
Now, her mother is seeking the full year restraining order... However her daughter, as afore mentioned, will turn 18 in less than 4 months, and does not wish to cease contact with me... Is it possible for her mother to both file a restraining order against me, and can she truely extend it beyond her daughters 18th birthday?
I would appriciate a reply as soon as possible... And even more preferrably, before I am served the paperwork.
Thank you in advance,
The Saint

moburkes

She can file it. It is up to the judge to determine how long it lasts. Look, if the girl is truly the "love of your life", you can wait.

HereticalSaint

Well, I know that I cant stop her from attempting to file... And should it come to it, I will wait... Its just a painful proposition to wait that long...

seniorjudge

She can file it. It is up to the judge to determine how long it lasts. Look, if the girl is truly the "love of your life", you can wait.
Judges hate this kind of restraining order application; let's hope the judge exercises a little knowledge here and finds out the full story.

racer72

I speak from experience, it will truly suck being in a relationship when a parent of the "love of your life" hates you. And believe me, it won't take long when the "love of your life" begins to resent you because she is excluded from family activities and outings because of you. You both need to think real hard whether your relationship is worth alienating others in her family.

The Occultist

If your friend is grounded, but she sneaks out to see you, you could find yourself in trouble which may include a Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor charge. Tread carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">