• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get the medicine I need for anxiety without my parents approval/money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mustloveoth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
Hello. I am 17 years old, and I am aware that in that in the state of Washington at the age of 13 a minor can legally (without a parents approval/knowledge) obtain medication for "mental illness." However, I am unsure if anxiety is actually considered a "mental illness," and if it is, I don't know who to contact to get the medication needed. Basically, I'm unfamiliar with what steps should be taken to obtaining this medicine legally without parental permission.

Proserpina

Hello. I am 17 years old, and I am aware that in that in the state of Washington at the age of 13 a minor can legally (without a parents approval/knowledge) obtain medication for "mental illness." However, I am unsure if anxiety is actually considered a "mental illness," and if it is, I don't know who to contact to get the medication needed. Basically, I'm unfamiliar with what steps should be taken to obtaining this medicine legally without parental permission.

Go take a look here, OP:

http://depts.washington.edu/hcsats/PDF/guidelines/Minors Health Care Rights Washington State.pdf

Banned_Princess

So, in other words, you want to take a dangerous controlled substance without your parents knowing.

I don't expect any doctor is going to prescribe you xanax without your parents. :rolleyes:

sandyclaus

I'm wondering exactly how you have figured out that you NEED this medication.

Have you been properly diagnosed by a doctor with this particular condition? Did a doctor tell you that you needed to be medicated, and specifically what medication would be needed to treat you?

Too many people out there think that the internet is this wonderful thing that tells them what's wrong with them and what to do about it. The problem is that no one should EVER be self-diagnosing like that, and especially NOT deciding on needing a particular kind of medication. That's what the professionals are for - to do the complete work up on you, figure out exactly what's wrong, and to prescribe just the right medication when needed.

What I'm want to know here is WHY you have an issue with your parents knowing about it? Have you ever been on this medication before? Did your parents refuse to medicate you, and that's why you want to have it done yourself? Did your parents not approve of the specific medication you were prescribed before?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">