• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legally leave the country when I am 18 even though I live in Nebraska?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ray900

I live in Nebraska where the legal age is 19. But, when I am 18 I can rent an apartment in my own name. If I go into another state where the legal age is 18 and rent an apartment, can I then freely and legally leave the country? If my parents call the police, can I be forcibly removed from another state or country? What other options do I have if that will not work?

quincy

I live in Nebraska where the legal age is 19. But, when I am 18 I can rent an apartment in my own name. If I go into another state where the legal age is 18 and rent an apartment, can I then freely and legally leave the country? If my parents call the police, can I be forcibly removed from another state or country? What other options do I have if that will not work?
It is unlikely, at age 18, that you would be "forcibly removed" from another state or country and returned home. Why do you want to leave the country?

Ray900

It is unlikely, at age 18, that you would be "forcibly removed" from another state or country and returned home. Why do you want to leave the country?
I am currently a resident of Nebraska, the legal age of adulthood in Nebraska is 19. When I am 18 years old can I go into another state (Iowa for example) where the legal age is 18, and rent an apartment there? So I am then a resident of that state, can I can then freely and legally leave the country? I cannot leave the country when I am 18 and still a resident of Nebraska because my parents will call the police and have me brought back.

quincy

I am currently a resident of Nebraska, the legal age of adulthood in Nebraska is 19. When I am 18 years old can I go into another state (Iowa for example) where the legal age is 18, and rent an apartment there? So I am then a resident of that state, can I can then freely and legally leave the country? I cannot leave the country when I am 18 and still a resident of Nebraska because my parents will call the police and have me brought back.
Why do you think your parents will call the police and force you to come home when you are age 18? Why do you want to leave the country?

Here is a link on applying for a US passport, which you can do on your own at age 18: https://www.usa.gov/passport

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
There are several things you should think about before traveling abroad. First of all, you need a passport - follow quincy's suggested link.

Second, where do you plan on going and for how long? Just a few weeks (vacation) or longer? If you want to go longer, you need to determine if you will need a visa and what are the requirements for the visa.

Will you have graduated high school and be self-supporting at the age of 18? Even in states where 18 is the legal majority, for practical reasons, if one is financially dependent on one's parents, one kinda has to abide by their rules. Right now... it sounds like you're desperate enough that Iowa sounds like a foreign country. It's not.

Ray900

There are several things you should think about before traveling abroad. First of all, you need a passport - follow quincy's suggested link.

Second, where do you plan on going and for how long? Just a few weeks (vacation) or longer? If you want to go longer, you need to determine if you will need a visa and what are the requirements for the visa.

Will you have graduated high school and be self-supporting at the age of 18? Even in states where 18 is the legal majority, for practical reasons, if one is financially dependent on one's parents, one kinda has to abide by their rules. Right now... it sounds like you're desperate enough that Iowa sounds like a foreign country. It's not.
Okay. I know that I need a passport, I have a passport. I know I will need a visa, I am working on that. I have enough money, don't worry about that. I am planning on moving to France. As for school, I have all of this figured out. I don't need anyone to tell me all these extra things. I have thought about this for over 2 years now. I just need to know if I go into another state when I am the age of 18 and rent an apartment if I can then freely and legally leave the country. I am currently a resident of Nebraska, where the legal age of adulthood is 19. That means, in case you didn't know, I am still under the control of my parents. So if I try to leave the country when I am 18 and living in Nebraska (once again the legal age of adulthood is 19) and my parents don't want me to go (which I already know they do not want me to go) they can call the police and I will be taken back home, because I am not yet an adult in Nebraska. I am asking If I go into another state where the legal age of adulthood is 18 and rent an apartment there, if I can then freely and legally leave the country? I am asking if I go into a state and rent an apartment and then am a resident of that state, and my parents call the police saying they want me home if the police can take me back to Nebraska.

quincy

Okay. I know that I need a passport, I have a passport. I know I will need a visa, I am working on that. I have enough money, don't worry about that. I am planning on moving to France. As for school, I have all of this figured out. I don't need anyone to tell me all these extra things. I have thought about this for over 2 years now. I just need to know if I go into another state when I am the age of 18 and rent an apartment if I can then freely and legally leave the country. I am currently a resident of Nebraska, where the legal age of adulthood is 19. That means, in case you didn't know, I am still under the control of my parents. So if I try to leave the country when I am 18 and living in Nebraska (once again the legal age of adulthood is 19) and my parents don't want me to go (which I already know they do not want me to go) they can call the police and I will be taken back home, because I am not yet an adult in Nebraska. I am asking If I go into another state where the legal age of adulthood is 18 and rent an apartment there, if I can then freely and legally leave the country? I am asking if I go into a state and rent an apartment and then am a resident of that state, and my parents call the police saying they want me home if the police can take me back to Nebraska.
Why do you think your parents will call the police to drag you home when you are 18?

Why do you want to leave the country?

The answers to these questions can determine what can and cannot be done once you turn 18 - this whether you are in Nebraska, Iowa, New York or in any other state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How "almost" 18 are you? You sound like you've got four or five years yet :rolleyes:

Ray900

Why do you think your parents will call the police to drag you home when you are 18?

Why do you want to leave the country?

The answers to these questions can determine what can and cannot be done once you turn 18 - this whether you are in Nebraska, Iowa, New York or in any other state.
I do not think my parents will call the police, I know they will. They have done it with my older siblings before. Threatened to call the police if they leave the house. They have stated to me that they do not want me to leave. I want to leave the country so I can get away from my family and my controlling parents. I know and have met people in another country who I will stay with.

LdiJ

I do not think my parents will call the police, I know they will. They have done it with my older siblings before. Threatened to call the police if they leave the house. They have stated to me that they do not want me to leave. I want to leave the country so I can get away from my family and my controlling parents. I know and have met people in another country who I will stay with.
You do understand that you will not be able to remain in France permanently? Wanting to get away from controlling parents is not a valid reason for France or the European Union to allow you in as an immigrant.

In addition, if there is any suspicion at all that you want to join ISIS or any other similar organization, or if your parents believe that you will or even lie that you will, the US will stop you from leaving the country, no matter how old you are.

Ray900

You do understand that you will not be able to remain in France permanently? Wanting to get away from controlling parents is not a valid reason for France or the European Union to allow you in as an immigrant.

In addition, if there is any suspicion at all that you want to join ISIS or any other similar organization, or if your parents believe that you will or even lie that you will, the US will stop you from leaving the country, no matter how old you are.
Okay yeah, thanks. Thanks for that input, I am not asking for your own personal opinion or what you think. I am asking if it is legal for me to leave the country when I am 18 and rent an apartment in a state where the legal age is 18. I am not asking anything else but that.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Okay yeah thanks. Thanks for that imput, I am not asking for your own personal opinion or what you think. I am asking if it is legal for me to leave the country when I am 18 and rent an apartment in a state where the legal age is 18. I am not asking anything else but that.
Your question does not have a simple yes or no answer. Much depends on how hard your parents would fight the situation, and how much money they would be willing to spend to fight the situation. Technically, Nebraska would have jurisdiction of any legal matter regarding you, and therefore, if your parents pushed it hard enough, you could be dragged back to Nebraska. There is simply no guarantee either way.

Also, you have to understand that if you are 18, and have no job, or an inadequate job, no landlord is going to rent to you, therefore what you want to do may be impossible for practical purposes. You would even have that problem if you were already 19. Landlords do not rent to people without jobs.

On top of that, I have no idea what France would do if your parents REALLY pushed it hard. Its possible that the police in France might pick you up and return you to Nebraska.

I do know that most of the difficulties would not exist once you are a legal adult in Nebraska...and if you are not intending to join ISIS or any other similar group.

Last edited:

quincy

Okay yeah thanks. Thanks for that imput, I am not asking for your own personal opinion or what you think. I am asking if it is legal for me to leave the country when I am 18 and rent an apartment in a state where the legal age is 18. I am not asking anything else but that.
The opinions offered by LdiJ are actually some of what will be considered if you decide to leave for another state or country and your parents call the police to have you returned home.

The police are unlikely to take the time and go to the expense of tracking down an 18-year-old to return that 18-year-old to his/her parents without good reason to do so. Good reasons for tracking down the 18-year-old include the safety of the 18-year-old and the safety of others.

Many 18-year-olds leave home for colleges and these colleges are often outside their own state of residence. They can survive nicely if they have funds enough to support themselves. Although financial support usually comes from parents, scholarships and financial aid is available for college students. If you do not have college plans, you will want to have a good employment plan and a place lined up to stay.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal for you to leave the country.

It is legal for you to rent an apartment.

It is NOT legal for you to stay in France, or any other country that is not the US, beyond the limit that their laws permit. It is not opinion, it is fact, that unless you have a work visa, which you will NOT find easy to get, you will be forced to leave France and return to the US 90 days after entry. On day 91, you will be illegally in France.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">