• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I legally record my teen's phone conversation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SSGThornton

What is the name of your state? Upstate New York
My teenage daughter (just turned 14) has been really secretive lately and alienating her friends and family. She just started dating this boy who we know and feel uncomfortable with because of his criminal past along with his family. I have listened in on their phone conversations and have learned some disturbing news that I feel I should share with the school and some other parents. But do I go to jail if I admit to recording the phone conversations?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Don't read the news much, eh?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002115125_eavesdrop10m.html

In addition:

N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05: It is a Class E felony to overhear or record a telephonic or telegraphic communication if one is not the sender or receiver, or does not have the consent of either the sender or receiver. It also is a crime for someone not present to overhear or record any conversation or discussion without the consent of at least one party to that conversation.
As for your daughter and her "boyfriend" - you realize that you are the parent and can forbid her from any contact with him, right? Including taking out a restraining order against him.

S

seniorjudge

SSGThornton said:
What is the name of your state? Upstate New York
My teenage daughter (just turned 14) has been really secretive lately and alienating her friends and family. She just started dating this boy who we know and feel uncomfortable with because of his criminal past along with his family. I have listened in on their phone conversations and have learned some disturbing news that I feel I should share with the school and some other parents. But do I go to jail if I admit to recording the phone conversations?
Your daughter is engaging in illicit sexual and drug-related behavior.

Take away all her phone and computer privileges immediately.

She's headed for trouble!

check out the laws reguarding phone taps in your state. here in michigan parents are allowed to record their kids converstations and take any steps within reason to be aware of what their kids are doing, its also a state law that if children under your care get into legal trouble the parent can be charged as well as the child. its the parents responsibilty to keep their kids out of trouble. yes there have been cases here that tried to stop parents from invading the childs privicy, but they were thrown out.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
mrcheerful said:
here in michigan parents are allowed to record their kids converstations and take any steps within reason to be aware of what their kids are doing, <snip> yes there have been cases here that tried to stop parents from invading the childs privicy, but they were thrown out.
How about some cites then, cheery-one?

BelizeBreeze

mrcheerful said:
check out the laws reguarding phone taps in your state. here in michigan parents are allowed to record their kids converstations and take any steps within reason to be aware of what their kids are doing, its also a state law that if children under your care get into legal trouble the parent can be charged as well as the child. its the parents responsibilty to keep their kids out of trouble. yes there have been cases here that tried to stop parents from invading the childs privicy, but they were thrown out.
Finally a perfect example of your brain on drugs. :rolleyes:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
mrcheerful said:
i think most state laws take precedent over city laws, ie a city can not make a law that goes against a state law.
WTF are you talking about? Re-read my post. Did I say a damned thing about citIes? No, I said CITES. As in CITATIONS. As in put your money where your mouth is and prove it. Jaysus, cheery-boy... try reading and comprehending before responding with diarrhea of the hands.

sorry i'm still trying to adjust to my bi focals lol. most of what i know about michigans make parents responsible for children laws came out of the news papers in my area. and things i picked up watching the news. the reason i even remember this was the aclu went after the law about childrens rights here and lost the case. you ever try to read anything with bi focals? i just guess at words most of the time, lol.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
mrcheerful said:
sorry i'm still trying to adjust to my bi focals lol. most of what i know about michigans make parents responsible for children laws came out of the news papers in my area. and things i picked up watching the news. the reason i even remember this was the aclu went after the law about childrens rights here and lost the case. you ever try to read anything with bi focals? i just guess at words most of the time, lol.
Sweetheart... First you got Canada confused with MI. Now you've got NY confused with MI. Perhaps you should take your bifocals and find a good geography book or atlas, and bone up on what states and countries are where, eh? :rolleyes:

BelizeBreeze

mrcheerful said:
I strongly suggest you do a search on "informed consent". You'll soon find out that a parent who tape records a child's telephone conversation in ANY state without that consent, is violating the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">