• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i move to another state if im on probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elceo

What is the name of your state? the name of my state is texas.

well my gf got caught stealing a couple of months ago and she hasnt had her probation hearing or whatever yet, but this summer she went to visit her mom in illinois and shes decided that she wants to stay there. can she move from texas even though shes going to get put on probation? by the way she is 15, going to be 16 in november. thanks in advance

Wolflmg

She would have to check with her PO and the court to make sure its okay, otherwise if shes not in the state where the crime was commented and they come looking for her and she's not there, she could be in a lot bigger trouble then she already is now.

JETX

elceo said:
well my gf got caught stealing a couple of months ago and she hasnt had her probation hearing or whatever yet, but this summer she went to visit her mom in illinois and shes decided that she wants to stay there. can she move from texas even though shes going to get put on probation?
Of course she can move. However, if she doesn't show up at the hearing at the time/date ordered, an arrest warrant will be issued for her. And at some point, she will be stopped by the police (traffic violation, etc.) and her warrant will get a 'hit'.... and her troubles will REALLY get serious.
Oh, and her parents can also be sued (civil court) for the damages that their daughter created.... and then the judgment creditor can go after "mom and dad".

Wolflmg

elceo said:
ok, so she can move to another state as long as it is ok with her PO officer then right?
As long as it been cleared by the PO and the court, then yes there shouldn't be any trouble.

elceo

one more question, she has not yet had her court date, when that date comes up, will she have to come back for that day or can that also be moved to where ever she moves to?

JETX

elceo said:
one more question, she has not yet had her court date, when that date comes up, will she have to come back for that day or can that also be moved to where ever she moves to?
Nope. She will have to go back to the court where she was charged.

elceo

also, i was talking to a friend of mine who currently got off probation, and he told me that in alot of cases PO's wont let the person transfer their probation to another state, is this true?

elceo

how long do you guys think she will be put on probation for? she was caught stealing jewlery from a mall, and as far as i know it is her first run in with the law.

JETX

elceo said:
how long do you guys think she will be put on probation for? she was caught stealing jewlery from a mall, and as far as i know it is her first run in with the law.
Who knows?? And who knows if she will even get probation?

elceo

well im not actually sure who has custody of her because she grew up in illinois, but then about a year ago she moved here to texas and then a few months ago she got caught trying to steal, and then she went to visit her mom for the summer, but while she was their she decided she wanted to illinois again. so im not really sure who has "official" custody of her right now.

JETX

And of course, custody doesn't matter (unless they decide to charge the custodial parent).
The ONLY relevant issue here is... she did the crime in Texas, Texas will handle her case. If she doesn't show when her case is called, a juvenile warrant will be issued.... or, as I said, it is possible that the parent will be ordered to court to explain the 'missing' party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">