• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out at 17?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janetroman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I plan on moving out next year but my friends mom is afraid I won't be able to out without parent consent. And if I do, I want to try to have my mom sign her rights to me, if she does this will I also be able to enroll myself at another school and set my own doctor appt. she is afraid my mom won't sign over her right to her

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And she may be right.

The earliest you can move out with no possibility of anyone forcing you back home is 18.

Not 17. 18.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I plan on moving out next year but my friends mom is afraid I won't be able to out without parent consent. And if I do, I want to try to have my mom sign her rights to me, if she does this will I also be able to enroll myself at another school and set my own doctor appt. she is afraid my mom won't sign over her right to her
I have some questions.

First, about the bolded portion of your post that I quoted above: Is another parent offering to house you while you finish up school? Why?

Why do you want to attend a different school?

You mention the desire to set up your own doctor appointments. For what reason do you want to do this?

Your question about whether you can move out of your home at age 17 is a common one. It is so common, in fact, that the Texas State Law Library has come up with resource information that addresses that specific question. Here is a link to the resource information the Law Library has compiled: http://guides.sll.texas.gov/can-a-seventeen-year-old-leave-home

Contacting the Law Library directly can be a way to locate information specific to your situation. The numbers are: 844-829-2843 (toll free) or 512-463-1722 if you are in Austin.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">