• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out at 17 in Texas???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmorVicintOmnia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

If I am turning 17 in a few months what are my legal rights in adherance with moving out once I do turn 17? I live in the state of Texas and I am a resident. Reason: I am lesbian and parents do not accept who I am. There has been physical and verbal abuse executed by my parents at me and each other since I was young. My father is also an alcoholic. Also just because I want to move out does not mean I want to drop out of school. I will graduate and go to college. Thank you.

Also: I have not really talked to my parents about this so i do not know if I have there support. I mentioned it once and my Dad said "There's the door. Move out now since you want to so badly." He was drunk at the time. So disregard it as parental compliance.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you have your parents' permission, and I mean REAL permission, then you may. If you do not have their permission, then you may not.

The age of majority is 18. When you reach 18, you can walk out the door and never look back regardless of what your parents say. Until then, you live where they say you live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">