• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i move out of my parents home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NatashleyE

I live in new york state I am currently 16 years old. I live with both of my parents, I am a straight a student on honor roll and take college courses on top of my high school work. I also have a job I work at least 15 hours a week. My best friend also had a job and is 16. Her father has a house that he says we can rent from his for 600. At my home, I provide for myself I pay my phone bill buy all my clothing and buy food for myself. Is it possible my parents can try to make me stay or will a judge allow me to rent as long as I keep my job and stay in school? Thanks much!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in new york state I am currently 16 years old. I live with both of my parents, I am a straight a student on honor roll and take college courses on top of my high school work. I also have a job I work at least 15 hours a week. My best friend also had a job and is 16. Her father has a house that he says we can rent from his for 600. At my home, I provide for myself I pay my phone bill buy all my clothing and buy food for myself. Is it possible my parents can try to make me stay or will a judge allow me to rent as long as I keep my job and stay in school? Thanks much!
No, you will continue to live where your parents say.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OMG. Are you wealthy? The house would be $600 a month. Then you will have utilities -- gas, electric, water, trash. Add easily another $600 a month for that. Then your phone bill. Then food. And renter's insurance. Not to mention clothes, school supplies, cable, entertainment and various other things. Easily could hit $2000 a month. Do you earn that from your 15 hour a week job? Highly doubt that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you are even one minute under 18, you live where your parents say you live. There is no possible chance that a judge will order them to allow you to move out, no matter what conditions you promise to adhere to. If Mom and Dad say no, it's no.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Only case of successful emancipation I can think of? Drew Barrymore. But she was extremely wealthy and was a "star". Oh wait, Ariel Winter I do believe also got emancipated. Same situation. Wealthy and a "star".

Just Blue

OMG. Are you wealthy? The house would be $600 a month. Then you will have utilities -- gas, electric, water, trash. Add easily another $600 a month for that. Then your phone bill. Then food. And renter's insurance. Not to mention clothes, school supplies, cable, entertainment and various other things. Easily could hit $2000 a month. Do you earn that from your 15 hour a week job? Highly doubt that.
Don't forget transportation. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">