• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i move to texas if im not 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kammiekamm

ok so im 17 and i live in california with my mom. i want to move to texas. can i move to texas if im not 18 with out my mom being able to do anything since the legal age is 17 there but 18 here?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
ok so im 17 and i live in california with my mom. i want to move to texas. can i move to texas if im not 18 with out my mom being able to do anything since the legal age is 17 there but 18 here?
Short answer: No.

Age of majority in NO state is under 18. :cool:

Isis1

ok the legal move out age in texas is 17. thats what i mean when i say legal age
you are a resident of CA. whoever is housing may be looking at cohoercing a minor over state lines. gee, who do you hate that much to bring such a criminal issue on their doorstep?

CdwJava

ok the legal move out age in texas is 17. thats what i mean when i say legal age
If you flee to TX you will be reported as a runaway in CA. If the police in TX come across you, they will be legally obligated to take you into custody and ship you home to CA.

Plus, anyone of any age that assists you by offering you comfort or aid in fleeing the jurisdiction of CA and the control of your parents can face criminal charges in CA, TX and even federal charges.

Short answer: No, you cannot go to TX without the permission and approval of your parents.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And as a matter of fact, no, the legal age to move out in Texas is 18.

There is NO state where the legal age to move out without permission is younger than 18. There are a couple of states where law enforcement will not work too hard about bringing home a 17 year old if they can see that he is safe, but make no mistake, even in those states, if your parents want you home badly enough, you WILL go home.

sandyclaus

So, like, why do you want to move to Texas? Who is suggesting it and why can't you wait another year to move?
(HINT: If it is a male love interest, then they are committing a FEDERAL crime by luring you to cross state lines to be with you.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">