• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i still be a cop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ca

im 17 and half and might be convicted of 2 counts of 12020a1 posession of metal knuckles, whats going to happen, will they seal and expuge my record. this is my first offense.

will it show up in the background check? do i have to say yes when im asked have i ever been convicted of a felony?

plz lemme know, thanks

seniorjudge

galileo415 said:
What is the name of your state? ca

im 17 and half and might be convicted of 2 counts of 12020a1 posession of metal knuckles, whats going to happen, will they seal and expuge my record. this is my first offense.

will it show up in the background check? do i have to say yes when im asked have i ever been convicted of a felony?

plz lemme know, thanks
Sounds like you have trouble following the law which is a requirement for cops.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=315756

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=316181

CdwJava

galileo415 said:
Apparently it is NOT your first offense (based on your prior posts). You also have some serious maturity and judgement issues - both of which will be evaluated by any potential police employer.

Your juvenile record is NOT automatically sealed when you turn 18, and a felony is NOT going to be expunged.

Fortunately for you, there is stil about 3+ years to go before you can even realistically submit an application for police officer (20 1/2 is the age most agencies want before they will look at an application). You still have a chance to go to school, be productive, and stop trying to bend and twist the law to fit your interpretation. Frankly, I don't think you'd pass the psych unless yo do a lot of growing in the next few years.

Yes on the background check, and no on answering about a conviction. However, you will be asked if you ever had to appear before a juvenile court for an offense that would have been a felony had it been committed by an adult ... to this, you will have to answer, "Yes" if the matter goes before a juvenile court in any way. You will also be asked if the police ever had to come to your home for any reason. And there are other questions which will require you to disclose this information. And if you withhold this info hoping they won't find it, you will find that not only WILL they find it, but you will then be blackballed from any law enforcement employment for dishonesty.

If a "true finding" is made on the offense as a felony in juvenile court, the chances of you being employed as a peace officer are just about nil. But, you can speak to your attorney about your options and maybe a plea can be reached which will drop it to a misdemeanor.

However, as I said, you have a LOT of growing and maturing to do before you will even remotely be considered for employment in law enforcement.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">