• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I supeana the police for records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raidershane12

What is the name of your state? PA I am interested in a supeana for the police records to see what time he stopped my son and called in the stop to the dispatcher, and the other officer that he called,he claims that he pulled my son over for curfew at 9:26,my son "chirped" his cell phone at 9:03, there were 4 kids stopped he called me to pick him up at 9:30,I am told that there is a 20 min. grace period for travel home from school activity and he held them untill after the grace period, DO THE POLICE NEED TO CALIBRATE THERE WATCHES

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? PA I am interested in a supeana for the police records to see what time he stopped my son and called in the stop to the dispatcher, and the other officer that he called,he claims that he pulled my son over for curfew at 9:26,my son "chirped" his cell phone at 9:03, there were 4 kids stopped he called me to pick him up at 9:30,I am told that there is a 20 min. grace period for travel home from school activity and he held them untill after the grace period, DO THE POLICE NEED TO CALIBRATE THERE WATCHES
YOU have no rights to do anything. Your son may have a right to the records IF there have been charges filed. Otherwise, nada.

CdwJava

No court action means no subpoena. If you intend to sue the police for something, your attorney can take care of it. If you are simply fishing, you can always ASK for this information, but there may not be a requirement that they give you the information.

Also, keep in mind that depending on the agency, the times on a Dispatcher's computer may not be accurate because they would reflect the time the entry was MADE, not necessarily the time the activity occurred. In smaller agencies it is not uncommon for dispatchers to get busy and write events down and then later enter them into the computer.

As for the officers and their watches, sorry, but we don't always look at our watches when we act on something in the field. Most agencies operate under the "all times are approximate" theory. If the officer testifies that he made a stop for curfew (I assume this is a curfew issue) and that he knows it was after the curfew time because he looked at a clock or his watch, then that is likely sufficient to justify the detention.

If it were to go to court, it would be the details that would determine the validity of the detention or arrest. Keep in mind that the threshold for a detention is very low.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">