• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my 17 year old girlfriend come with me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobcatZ

Texas,
My girlfriend is 17 I am 20 we are 2 year a 7 months apart. My parents have invited her to come to the beach with us for the weekend. Her mom hates me for some reason. Even though the rest of her family loves me. Including her dad. Her mom says she can not go to the beach but she is saying she is going no matter what she says. Is it legal for her to come on vacation with me and my parents without her mom's permission? At the time she will be graduated and a month away from being 18. Her parents are illegal though she is legal, idk if that matters or not. This will happen in 2 months.

Thank you for any answers.

CdwJava

You and your parents may get into legal trouble if she runs away from home and takes off to be with you and your parents. If you cannot work this out with mom, it might be best to wait until she is 18 and can move out of her house with the clothes on her back and whatever mom lets her take with her than to risk legal complications.

OHRoadwarrior

You and your parents can get criminal records for harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobcatZ

Besides in Texas at 17 your are considered an adult in many ways. And I have had an attorney inform me that since she went voluntarily, is a month away from her birthday and is not in "danger". Then they won't go looking, because they know she'll be back and shes too old to be looking. She's not a runaway she's coming home in 2days. If she was "moving out" then she would be considered a run away.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdoptADog

Besides in Texas at 17 your are considered an adult in many ways. And I have had an attorney inform me that since she went voluntarily, is a month away from her birthday and is not in "danger". Then they won't go looking, because they know she'll be back and shes too old to be looking. She's not a runaway she's coming home in 2days. If she was "moving out" then she would be considered a run away.
A quick google of "runaway laws Texas" shows something quite different. You should try it. Her parents can report her missing as long as she is under 18, you and your parents can be charged with kidnapping, harboring a runaway, and a few other things.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Texas,
My girlfriend is 17 I am 20 we are 2 year a 7 months apart. My parents have invited her to come to the beach with us for the weekend. Her mom hates me for some reason. Even though the rest of her family loves me. Including her dad. Her mom says she can not go to the beach but she is saying she is going no matter what she says. Is it legal for her to come on vacation with me and my parents without her mom's permission? At the time she will be graduated and a month away from being 18. Her parents are illegal though she is legal, idk if that matters or not. This will happen in 2 months.

Thank you for any answers.
I can tell that you have no desire to ever have a future with this girl. What that means is that you just see her as an easy lay.

How can I tell? Because you don't care what this girl's parents think of you.

LdiJ

I can tell that you have no desire to ever have a future with this girl. What that means is that you just see her as an easy lay.

How can I tell? Because you don't care what this girl's parents think of you.
I do not think that is fair. He already stated that her dad and the rest of her family likes him, its only her mother that has a problem with him. If mom and dad are actually together, then unless dad also says no to the weekend trip, then nobody would get into trouble if she goes. If its dad's weekend and he says yes, again, nobody gets in trouble if she goes.

I also do not think your comment is fair because this is a trip supervised by his parents and she was invited by his parents.

Zigner

I do not think that is fair. He already stated that her dad and the rest of her family likes him, its only her mother that has a problem with him. If mom and dad are actually together, then unless dad also says no to the weekend trip, then nobody would get into trouble if she goes. If its dad's weekend and he says yes, again, nobody gets in trouble if she goes.
I wasn't speaking about anybody getting "in trouble" for the weekend trip. I was talking about the reality that this guy doesn't care what his girlfriend's parents (yes, plural) think, nor does he care about the grief that this is going to cause his girlfriend. The girlfriend's family doesn't matter.

I also do not think your comment is fair because this is a trip supervised by his parents and she was invited by his parents.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

With all that said, I doubt that anybody is going to get "in trouble" over this, but that doesn't speak to the bigger picture, does it?

davew128

I wasn't speaking about anybody getting "in trouble" for the weekend trip. I was talking about the reality that this guy doesn't care what his girlfriend's parents (yes, plural) think, nor does he care about the grief that this is going to cause his girlfriend. The girlfriend's family doesn't matter.
I agree with LdiJ. Example: My receptionist married her husband despite her mother-in-law and her basically hating each other.

LdiJ

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

With all that said, I doubt that anybody is going to get "in trouble" over this, but that doesn't speak to the bigger picture, does it?
I am sorry but the bolded is just gratuitous. Many, many parents invite boyfriends or girlfriends of their teenage children on vacations or weekend trips and supervise them quite well. Its not even a little bit unusual for such an invitation to happen, nor for the supervision to be competent. You may never have chosen to issue such an invitation but that does not mean that the parents who do are being lax in parenting.

Zigner

I am sorry but the bolded is just gratuitous. Many, many parents invite boyfriends or girlfriends of their teenage children on vacations or weekend trips and supervise them quite well. Its not even a little bit unusual for such an invitation to happen, nor for the supervision to be competent. You may never have chosen to issue such an invitation but that does not mean that the parents who do are being lax in parenting.
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when one of the parents is against it, I would expect the parents who are doing the inviting to respect that. The OP doesn't show respect for his GF or his GF's parents, and the OP's parents don't either. Yep, the apple is right there next to the trunk.

LdiJ

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when one of the parents is against it, I would expect the parents who are doing the inviting to respect that. The OP doesn't show respect for his GF or his GF's parents, and the OP's parents don't either. Yep, the apple is right there next to the trunk.
That is of course assuming that the OP's parents already know that mom is saying no.

My paternal grandmother was never nice to my mother. I am certainly glad that my parents never let that scare them off. I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Zigner

That is of course assuming that the OP's parents already know that mom is saying no.
Very true.

My paternal grandmother was never nice to my mother. I am certainly glad that my parents never let that scare them off. I wouldn't be here otherwise.
I'm glad too. In THIS case, we're talking about a minor child. There's no reason they can't skip this trip and take her on the next one after she's 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">