• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make you come home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandajean

What is the name of your state? IL

Ok, if I were to just leave without getting emancipated at the age of 17 could my parents MAKE me go home? Because I have read on this site a few times that neither the police or your parents can make you come home if you leave. Just wondering.

ceara19

What is the name of your state? IL

Ok, if I were to just leave without getting emancipated at the age of 17 could my parents MAKE me go home? Because I have read on this site a few times that neither the police or your parents can make you come home if you leave. Just wondering.
Yes, you can be brought home and your adult boyfriend can go to jail. Stop posting new threads about the same situation and go clean your room.

CdwJava

There are a coupl eof states I know of where a loophole in the law prevents law enforcement from dragging you back home - Illinois is NOT one of those states.

And if your boyfriend is an adult, he can face criminal charges if you run off to be with him.

Stick it out until you are 18 and then the two of you can pay all your own bills and do as you please.

- Carl

CdwJava

ceara19 said:
Then help your mom do the laundry, wash the dishes, vacuum the house or any one of a million other things that GROWN UPS have to do. You want to be treated like an adult, act like one.
Of course, there is always the "reality check" exercise ... after deciding how much money is needed for rent, she should price out the cost of utilities (water, electricity, phone, cable/satellite, trash), then go to the store and price out the cost of toiletries and household goods, then the cost of groceries, then add in the cost of an auto (auto insurance, gas, maintenance, monthly loan payments, etc.), and for grins, adding in the cost of eating out or going to the movies. Chances are she will quickly realize that the costs will greatly exceed her and her boyfriend's ability to adequately provide. Life in a run-down, smelly, one bedroom apartment can get very trying after a few months. Then life with mom and dad probably won't seem quite so bad.

Oh ... then there is the almost inevitable baby supplies ... diapers, ointments, medical bills, etc. And, yes, those bills DO have to be paid!

- Carl

ceara19

Of course, there is always the "reality check" exercise ... after deciding how much money is needed for rent, she should price out the cost of utilities (water, electricity, phone, cable/satellite, trash), then go to the store and price out the cost of toiletries and household goods, then the cost of groceries, then add in the cost of an auto (auto insurance, gas, maintenance, monthly loan payments, etc.), and for grins, adding in the cost of eating out or going to the movies. Chances are she will quickly realize that the costs will greatly exceed her and her boyfriend's ability to adequately provide. Life in a run-down, smelly, one bedroom apartment can get very trying after a few months. Then life with mom and dad probably won't seem quite so bad.

Oh ... then there is the almost inevitable baby supplies ... diapers, ointments, medical bills, etc. And, yes, those bills DO have to be paid!

- Carl
I doubt that she could make it a month without her cell phone and Internet connection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Stick it out until you are 18 and then the two of you can pay all your own bills and do as you please.

- Carl
Ironically, this is the type of situation that lands people on welfare - so she WON'T be paying her own bills after all!

OP - really...I know you are in love, however, love is hard to define. I can promise you though, that patience is definitely part of love. And you need patience to allow both you and BF to grow up and gain wisdom and perspective.

mandajean

Well number one, I do all the cooking and cleaning around here already. I don't have a cell-phone to mess around with, and anyone can live without internet.

I'm in the process of getting a job and a car. And my boyfriend has a job that pays atleast $2,000 a month. Now if you can't live off that then no one could make it in the world. Once you combine mine and his money together we would have plenty to make it on our own. And yes I have added up the costs of living on my own, and I've realized, it won't cost me anymore to live on my own than it does to live here. For the most part, I am the one buying the grocerys(that is unless she decides to come out of her room and be a mom) if I don't buy the grocerys we don't have any food. Most of the time there is no money on moms link card because she goes and buys food for other people just so they will give her real money to go buy alcohol. We may not have milk in the house, but we always have a full drawer of beer for mommy and her boyfriend.

mandajean

Yes, you can be brought home and your adult boyfriend can go to jail. Stop posting new threads about the same situation and go clean your room.
How can they make him go to jail? He wouldn't be doing anything wrong because it wouldn't be illegal for us to be together then. I know 17 is atleast the legal age for us to be together.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is NOT legal at 17 for you to leave home. You can be dragged back home, grounded until your 18th birthday and your adult boyfriend charged with any number of things. It is NOT legal for him to take you away from your home until you are of legal age to leave, which is NOT 17.

Do you really think that if you keep posting the same question over and over, someone will eventually give you the answer you want to hear? You are not exactly displaying the kind of maturity that would lead anyone to believe that you are ready to be on your own.

Lets do some basic math:

$500 rent (this is an estimation depending on location)
$100 electricity
$50 water
$100 Cable
$50 phone
$30 internet connection
$250 groceries
$50 toilitries
$400 car payment
$150 insurance
$75 gas
$50 clothes

$1,805---$2,000 a month might, depending on where you plan to live, be enough for you to scratch your way through life, but don't bet on it. Yes people live on less, but it is so hard. At 17 you have no idea what real life is, but I am sure you will find out soon enough. Life is going to smack you down real hard, so just make sure that you are ready. Although I am sure that you will find someone else to blame all your problems on by that time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mandajean

1. Rent is based on income

2. I don't need cable. I do just fine with 5 channels. That is what I get now anyway.

3. Internet connection is NOT a must have.

4. We have a link card for grocerys.

Now add it up and answer me. :)

Silverplum

1. Rent is based on income

2. I don't need cable. I do just fine with 5 channels. That is what I get now anyway.

3. Internet connection is NOT a must have.

4. We have a link card for grocerys.

Now add it up and answer me. :)
FYI: It's spelled "groceries." Just one of those finish-your-education things. :rolleyes:

What is a "link card" for groceries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">