• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you legally move out in texas if you are 17?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaiulani32

My girlfriends parents used to beat her because she is with me. I'm a girl. We are still together. They do not hit her anymore b/c the cops have been there once before, but they are taking her out of school and basically isolationg her at home. She is not happy at all and honestly i think the more she stays there the more her mental stability goes down. I just want her out of there. She will not being staying with me and she still will be going to school. Please i'm not doing this so that i can see or talk to her, im doing this for her well being.
Thank you

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can move out at 17 if you have your parent's permission. If you don't, you can't.

Kaiulani32

I will be supporting her and when she moves out she will be getting a job. Right now she is not allowed to get a job. They do not let her go anywhere. Everything will be paid for she will be be staying at a friends and or teachers house where she will be well taken cared of. Anything she needs paid for i will do it.

Banned_Princess

I will be supporting her and when she moves out she will be getting a job. Right now she is not allowed to get a job. They do not let her go anywhere. Everything will be paid for she will be be staying at a friends and or teachers house where she will be well taken cared of. Anything she needs paid for i will do it.
In that case the parents can call the cops to have the kid returned to them.

Listen, i know when your young, years take "like for ever" but a year is fast, and it is better if she just waits it out.

It will all be the past, soon.

Silverplum

That's not going to work, legally. In order to be "emancipated," she must be demonstrably able to fully provide for herself, alone.

She can just wait till she's 18.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And if you are over 18, there are legal remedies her parents can take against you that you will not like at all.

Kaiulani32

At age 17 she can leave the house and legally the police are
unable to forcefully return her home unless there is proof of
an unsafe environment or conditions.

She must be self-sufficient, not in that she has to make an
amount of income, but that she can support herself in whatever
living environment she ends up in. She must stay in school,
her personal rights may not be infringed, and she must declare
to her guardians where exactly it is she is living and that
she is okay

this is from a ladies lawyer and a police officer.

And her parents cant do anything to me being that the consent age is 17 and that i just turned 18. And we arent doing anything sexual. I havent even seen her in 5 months. She will not be living with me and I will not be the one caring for her. Just sending money if she needs it.
I know im young but im not stupid. Ive raised myself since i was 13 and for just being 18 and doing everything on my own (car, insurance, rent, ect...), i think im doing a damn good job. All i want is for her to be safe and healthy. Not to make her parents mad or to be able to see her, cause honestly i probably wont be able to for awhile. I have a job where i work 84 hours every two weeks, so i dont have much off time. I just want to be able to talk to her one time and her not cry about living there, or what emotional trama the inflicted this time. She is a brilliant young lady with a bright future who just wants to be herself and her parents refuse to let her. So please if anyone has any information please share it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Where did the cop go to law school? And what is a "ladies lawyer"?

At the age of 17, the cops may be reluctant to return a minor home if they know she is safe but a 17 year old is still a minor and the parents still have legal custody.

There doesn't have to be anything sexual going on for the parents to file charges against you for interferance with custody, for example.

Silverplum

At age 17 she can leave the house and legally the police are
unable to forcefully return her home unless there is proof of
an unsafe environment or conditions.

She must be self-sufficient, not in that she has to make an
amount of income, but that she can support herself in whatever
living environment she ends up in. She must stay in school,
her personal rights may not be infringed, and she must declare
to her guardians where exactly it is she is living and that
she is okay

this is from a ladies lawyer and a police officer.
So, do you see the contradiction in the bolded part? ;)

If this "ladies lawyer and a police officer" are so very helpful, you could perhaps retain the "ladies lawyer" for your friend, and somehow manage to get the "police officer" to clarify that glaring contradiction.
Kaiulani32 said:
And her parents cant do anything to me being that the consent age is 17 and that i just turned 18. And we arent doing anything sexual. I havent even seen her in 5 months. She will not be living with me and I will not be the one caring for her. Just sending money if she needs it.
I know im young but im not stupid. Ive raised myself since i was 13 and for just being 18 and doing everything on my own (car, insurance, rent, ect...), i think im doing a damn good job. All i want is for her to be safe and healthy. Not to make her parents mad or to be able to see her, cause honestly i probably wont be able to for awhile. I have a job where i work 84 hours every two weeks, so i dont have much off time. I just want to be able to talk to her one time and her not cry about living there, or what emotional trama the inflicted this time. She is a brilliant young lady with a bright future who just wants to be herself and her parents refuse to let her. So please if anyone has any information please share it.
You don't have to talk to her and listen to her cry.

Kaiulani32

Matter of fact i do have to talk to her, to keep her from doing something stupid. It is a hate crime to beat your child just because she is not straight. And for you to be so smart, why are you on here answering legally questions for free and not getting paid? Im not interferring with anything. I will not be sending the money to her, but to the person she stays with. Which could be used as they please. Im smarter than you think. Im not doing this to be vindictive but just to show you that all i do is care about her and want her safe. And watch, as soon as Jan, 22 hits and the cops stop checking on her parents for hitting her, they will again continue to. They have been doing it since she was 13, but living in a small town cops try not to interfere. And for a parent to call a child stupid and make them feel like they are nothing just because they arent living the life you pictured for them is just ridiculous. She is brilliant. High grades, top 70% of the u.s. in test scores including sat, act, and asvab, and she will be attending baylor. Honestly i do not want her to leave home. I can see her trying to make it on her own and not telling me. A parent is supposed to love their child no matter what, and to just love them less because they are gay, is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of. I know the bible says man and woman, but the bible also says the only God cannot mess with is love. And i love her. Nothing phusical about her, just her heart and mind. If she does move out i cannot control it. I asked her to please stay there and just be strong and she wont. I wasnt doing this for any ideas. I was just doing this to make sure that she was legal and safe to do it.

Silverplum

Matter of fact i do have to talk to her, to keep her from doing something stupid.
"want."
Not "have to."
Kaiulani32 said:
It is a hate crime to beat your child just because she is not straight.
Cite the relevant law, please.
Kaiulani32 said:
And for you to be so smart, why are you on here answering legally questions for free and not getting paid?
Because we're nice people.
Sometimes, losers and rude posters make us reconsider whether or not we wish to continue helping losers and rude posters for free.
Kaiulani32 said:
Im not interferring with anything. I will not be sending the money to her, but to the person she stays with. Which could be used as they please. Im smarter than you think. Im not doing this to be vindictive but just to show you that all i do is care about her and want her safe. And watch, as soon as Jan, 22 hits and the cops stop checking on her parents for hitting her, they will again continue to. They have been doing it since she was 13, but living in a small town cops try not to interfere. And for a parent to call a child stupid and make them feel like they are nothing just because they arent living the life you pictured for them is just ridiculous. She is brilliant. High grades, top 70% of the u.s. in test scores including sat, act, and asvab, and she will be attending baylor. Honestly i do not want her to leave home. I can see her trying to make it on her own and not telling me. A parent is supposed to love their child no matter what, and to just love them less because they are gay, is the stupidest thing i have ever heard of. I know the bible says man and woman, but the bible also says the only God cannot mess with is love. And i love her. Nothing phusical about her, just her heart and mind. If she does move out i cannot control it. I asked her to please stay there and just be strong and she wont. I wasnt doing this for any ideas. I was just doing this to make sure that she was legal and safe to do it.
Sure.

Kaiulani32

Sure what? I wont even get to see her so what benefit is this to me? Im sorry if i sounded rude or anything, but please understand this is a very emotional thing to me. I saw the bruises the first time they beat her and i just dont want her to go thru that again. I saw the pain and fear in her eyes. I just dont want her to have that fear in the back of her mind that it will happen again. Im sorry if i was mean. I was not raised that way and im just really upset. I really just want her safe. Please believe me this is all i care about. Even if it means her not being with me i just want her safe and happy. But even if i broke up with her, which i do not want to do, it would just make her fight harder to prove to me all she wants to do is be with me. I love this girl with all my heart and soul and if she wont give up, neither will i. Is there anything that she can do on her own to get out of her house?
again sorry if i sounded mean and/or rude.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She can call CPS. For that matter, you can call CPS on her behalf.

What you CANNOT do, is interfere with her parent's custody of her. You have no legal standing to do so and her parents can take legal action against you if you do.

CPS, on the other hand, DOES have such legal standing. Stop thinking of what's best for you and start thinking about REAL ways of helping her.

Kaiulani32

I have called them already. They have a case record. Its just when they got there to document her bruises they were faded so there wasnt much proof. and they havent hit her since that time. they beat her before we got together but about the samething. i called the cops and cps the time it happened when we were together. they have it on file and all they did was come check on her. nothing else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">