• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can your parents stop emancipation at eighteen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

discoloredkitty

What is the name of your state? Washington

i'm seventeen. i turn eighteen in october, and my mom is threatening to take me to court and stop me from being emancipated at eighteen because i'm incompetent, dropped out of high school, don't have a job, and she doesn't want me to move out because i'm mad at her.

can she stop me from moving out when i turn eighteen?

justalayman

not unless she proves you mentally incompetant and that isn;t just your mom telling you you're stupid for moving out.

from your post, I doubt mental incompetency would apply.

Happy trails to you.

CdwJava

So ... you have no education, no job, and no self respect and want to move out? Uh ... where are you going to go? Are you going to freeload on someone else? Friends are eventually going to tell you to pony up or get out, and you may find that couch surfing will quickly find you without friends.

Do as Seniorjudge suggested - prove mom wrong by turning it around instead of being a spoiled, uneducated and unemployed twit supported by our tax dollars.

- Carl

discoloredkitty

So ... you have no education, no job, and no self respect and want to move out? Uh ... where are you going to go? Are you going to freeload on someone else? Friends are eventually going to tell you to pony up or get out, and you may find that couch surfing will quickly find you without friends.

Do as Seniorjudge suggested - prove mom wrong by turning it around instead of being a spoiled, uneducated and unemployed twit supported by our tax dollars.

- Carl
slight problem with that is i'm TRYING to get a job and i've had several offers anyone my age would die for, but she won't let me get a job. and she keeps grounding me for stupid reasons, as if she's trying to keep me insecure.

Just Blue

slight problem with that is i'm TRYING to get a job and i've had several offers anyone my age would die for, but she won't let me get a job. and she keeps grounding me for stupid reasons, as if she's trying to keep me insecure.
How can she stop you from taking a job??? Start acting like an adult and you will be treated like one. The first step you could take is signing up for GED courses!

CdwJava

discoloredkitty said:
What kind of legal and respectable job offer does someone with no education receive? Until you are 18 mom does not have to let you work. In fact, you and mom can get in legal trouble for the fact that you are not attending school. It's called Truancy.

When you are 18 you are free to go it on your own. Until then, mom should drop kick your behind to school.

- Carl

discoloredkitty

What kind of legal and respectable job offer does someone with no education receive? Until you are 18 mom does not have to let you work. In fact, you and mom can get in legal trouble for the fact that you are not attending school. It's called Truancy.

When you are 18 you are free to go it on your own. Until then, mom should drop kick your behind to school.

- Carl

Wrong. it's called LEGALLY dropping out?
so no legal trouble on that end, thanks ;)

CdwJava

discoloredkitty said:
Wrong. it's called LEGALLY dropping out?
so no legal trouble on that end, thanks ;)
Wow!

So, you have managed to "legally" circumvent Washington state law?

RCW 28A.225.010
Attendance mandatory — Age — Exceptions.

(1) All parents in this state of any child eight years of age and under eighteen years of age shall cause such child to attend the public school of the district in which the child resides and such child shall have the responsibility to and therefore shall attend for the full time when such school may be in session ...

You wanna explain how you and mom can avoid legal trouble if it comes your way??

In my state we send kids and parents to court for a child not going to school. WA has done the same. You had best hope your local school and government is not concerned with ADA money or children's education.

- Carl

CdwJava

I am really curious what it means to "legally" drop out of school. At 18, sure.

Darn those state laws - always getting in the way! :D

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">