• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen and crashed by 15 year old girl

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maxfligolfer7

What is the name of your state? Michigan

a couple days ago my car was stolen by a 15 year old girl. She crashed it into a cement retaining wall and then ran away from the accident. She was arrested for a hit and run and the theft of my car and is in jeuvy right now. since she's a minor her parents are responsible for her. the only thing i care about is getting reimbursed for the damages to my car, my insurance does not cover theft. do i have to take her to court just for the damages, or will everything be covered in one trial for the 2 crimes? will i get any money from the parents by the courts? will i get anything?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Maxfligolfer7 said:

my car was stolen by a 15 year old girl and crashed it into a cement retaining wall and then ran away from the scene. she was arrested for a hit and run and the theft of my car and is in jeuvy right now. since she's a minor her parents are responsible for her. the only thing i care about is getting reimbursed for the damages to my car, my insurance does not cover theft. will i get any money from the parents by the courts? will i get anything?

since she's a minor her parents are responsible for her.

Who told you that?

Q: will i get anything?

A: I don't know her parents so I couldn't say.

fairisfair

Maxfligolfer7 said:

a couple days ago my car was stolen by a 15 year old girl. She crashed it into a cement retaining wall and then ran away from the accident. She was arrested for a hit and run and the theft of my car and is in jeuvy right now. since she's a minor her parents are responsible for her. the only thing i care about is getting reimbursed for the damages to my car, my insurance does not cover theft. do i have to take her to court just for the damages, or will everything be covered in one trial for the 2 crimes? will i get any money from the parents by the courts? will i get anything?
Just curious, how did this girl get the keys to your car??

fairisfair

Maxfligolfer7 said:
the detective said that her parents are responsible for her and the keys were stuck in the ignition...:mad:
uh oh, keys in the ignition?? is this kid someone that you knew??

CdwJava

It is likely that you can get restitution - if not directly from the teen, her parents will likely be financially responsible to at least some degree. Or, if your insurance company paid for damages, THEY will get restitution. A civil court may see some of the negligence by the teen mitigated by the keys being in the car (I have seen that happen before).

Unless the damages are over the amount for small claims court, you are free to initiate a small claims action against the teen or her parents. Contact your local court and see what you have to do.

- Carl

fairisfair

CdwJava said:
It is likely that you can get restitution - if not directly from the teen, her parents will likely be financially responsible to at least some degree. Or, if your insurance company paid for damages, THEY will get restitution. A civil court may see some of the negligence by the teen mitigated by the keys being in the car (I have seen that happen before).

Unless the damages are over the amount for small claims court, you are free to initiate a small claims action against the teen or her parents. Contact your local court and see what you have to do.

- Carl
you are welcome for the tooth pulling. Big Smile :D

Maxfligolfer7

no i didnt know the person and thats good to hear..the damages are probably 600-800 dollars...soooo is that small enough for small claims or should i just contact the prosecuting attorney and let him know im seeking restitution? can he just add that to the other charges of hit and run and grand theft auto? like just add it on that they have to pay me for the damages?

CdwJava

Maxfligolfer7 said:
no i didnt know the person and thats good to hear..the damages are probably 600-800 dollars...soooo is that small enough for small claims or should i just contact the prosecuting attorney and let him know im seeking restitution? can he just add that to the other charges of hit and run and grand theft auto? like just add it on that they have to pay me for the damages?
You should be able to get this out at court through the DA. I would recommend you get at LEAST one written estimate of the cost of repairs so the DA has something to hang his hat on.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">