• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen by Juvenile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrunoFL

What is the name of your state? FL

My car was stolen by a juvenile. The car was recovered and the juvenile was arrested. Insurance will cover (hopefully) some damages to the vehicle, but there are a lot of unexpected expenses that no insurance will reimbursh. Not to mention all the problems my family had because of this.

So, my question is: Can I sue the parents of this juvenile?

And if that's the case:

Where should I look to find a lawyer for a case like this?

Thanks in advance.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? FL

My car was stolen by a juvenile. The car was recovered and the juvenile was arrested. Insurance will cover (hopefully) some damages to the vehicle, but there are a lot of unexpected expenses that no insurance will reimbursh. Not to mention all the problems my family had because of this.

So, my question is: Can I sue the parents of this juvenile?

And if that's the case:

Where should I look to find a lawyer for a case like this?

Thanks in advance.
Th eonly thing that I can think of that insurance won't reimburse is the deductible and coverage for a rental, if that wasn't on your policy. What else could you be talking about?

BrunoFL

Th eonly thing that I can think of that insurance won't reimburse is the deductible and coverage for a rental, if that wasn't on your policy. What else could you be talking about?
Well, besides the obious (deductible and coverage for a rental) both me and my wife have missed a lot of days at work because of this. We are won't get paid for those days. And now we have to change all the keys to the house and all the cars because the juvenile took a full set of keys and only the keys to one car were recovered.

The juvenile first entered my apartment and stole the set of keys (and some other items), Then went for the car. Some items were also stolen from the car. A small portable file with all the personal information of my whole family was among the missing items from the apartment and was recovered in the car's trunk. So now I have to take steps to protect my family from identity thef by changing all that could be changed and God knows what else.

The juvenile also turned out to be a resident of my own neighborhood. This was a surprise because this is a very good and quiet place. However, now I need to move. I'm not going to live near that family or have my children going to the same school.

All the above can be put into specific ammounts. Other things, I don't know how to put a price on it. Like for example, my kid crying every afternoon because his favorite toy (a game console) is no longer here. Or my wife calling every night to ask me to wait for her on the porch because she is afraid.

I think my family should be compensated for all this. I just don't know what to do or where to start.

BrunoFL

Update

Update...

I've been trying to get the restitition added (thanks for the info Curt581). To this day I still don't know anything about how the case is going. I don't know who's in charge of the case, who's prosecuting or where, what's the identity of the juvenile or who are his/her parents.

I've been all over the place, my county sheriff office (where the car was stolen), the county where the car was found, SAO, car theft division from both counties...I feel like a ping pong ball. Every office I go they say is somebody else's case. :mad:

About the parents being liable/responsible for the juvenile actions, I was told I have to wait and see if he/she gets trial as an adult or as a juvenile. Don't know if that's a normal procedure.

Nobody have told me that I can't know the identity of the juvenile, but I get evasive answers every time. I wonder if they can't tell me by law or if they just don't want to. For all I know it could be my kids babysitter or the older brother of my kids friends. Kind of scary to be honest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">