• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught Shoplifting...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tweak

Illinois
Today, me and a few buddies went into a department store, and decided to Shwank some stuff. I stole a CD, and my buddy stole a digital camera. and we got caught, the police arrested us, took us to a police station, fingerprinted us, got mugshots, and released us to our parents. But we weren't in our own county, so they said they were going to tranfer all the data to our county's file. But anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to give me some sort of idea on what our punishment will be. the items did not exceed $300 in value, and I MIGHT just get charged with accomplice, because they didn't find the CD right away,and I don't think they even notified that I took ot. Regardless, I would like to know what my possible punsihments could be.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

JETX

tweak said:
Illinois
Today, me and a few buddies went into a department store, and decided to Shwank some stuff. I stole a CD, and my buddy stole a digital camera. and we got caught, the police arrested us, took us to a police station, fingerprinted us, got mugshots, and released us to our parents. But we weren't in our own county, so they said they were going to tranfer all the data to our county's file. But anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to give me some sort of idea on what our punishment will be. the items did not exceed $300 in value, and I MIGHT just get charged with accomplice, because they didn't find the CD right away,and I don't think they even notified that I took ot. Regardless, I would like to know what my possible punsihments could be.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
Your punishment WILL be:
1) You will have a criminal record for the rest of your life. And yes, in certain circumstances a juvenile record CAN 'follow you'.
2) You will likely get probation and a fine.
3) Your parents will get a real nice letter from the merchant demanding payment (probably less than $500) as 'civil recovery'.

Illinois 720 ILCS 5/16A‑7
Civil Liability.
(a) A person who commits the offense of retail theft as defined in Section 16A‑3 paragraphs (a), (b), (c), or (h) of this Code, shall be civilly liable to the merchant of the merchandise in an amount consisting of:
(i) actual damages equal to the full retail value of the merchandise as defined herein; plus
(ii) an amount not less than $100 nor more than $1,000; plus
(iii) attorney's fees and court costs.

(b) If a minor commits the offense of retail theft, the parents or guardian of said minor shall be civilly liable as provided in this Section; provided, however that a guardian appointed pursuant to the Juvenile Court Act or the Juvenile Court Act of 1987 shall not be liable under this Section. Total recovery under this Section shall not exceed the maximum recovery permitted under Section 5 of the "Parental Responsibility Law", approved October 6, 1969, as now or hereafter amended.

(c) A conviction or a plea of guilty to the offense of retail theft is not a prerequisite to the bringing of a civil suit hereunder.

(d) Judgments arising under this Section may be assigned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">