• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

caught shoplifting :-/

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebirdfly

What is the name of your state? California

I'm 17 and I was caught shoplifting at Mervyns in the mall, but the security who caught me didn't call the police. He typed up some information on the computer while I sat in a room and had me sign a couple papers about trespassing and took my SSN and address and they let me leave like 10 mins later. A couple days later I got a letter in the mail from them saying I had to pay a fine within 30 days and they wouldn't prosecute me. Do I have a criminal record now, even though I was never arrested and they didn't call the police? Is it possible for them to call the police after I left? This happened about 3 weeks ago and nothing else has happened since I got the letter.

I really learned my lesson... never will I let my friends talk me into doing something so stupid. :(
Thanks in advance for your replies.

magic55

No you do not have a criminal record.

I would pay the fine ASAP and be thankful that they didnt call the police on you.

Best of luck,
Brandon

bluebirdfly

Thanks for your answer. I have enough money to pay the fine, fortunately, so I'll pay it asap. And yes I'm very very thankful that the police weren't called.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">