• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CDM-Brother in New Mexico

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TBHwolf

This actually concerns my 21 year old brother who is currently attending college in New Mexico. Saturday night he was returning to his room after seeing our mom off (she was out there visiting him) and hanging out with some friends. After he enters his room, he finds his roommate and some other people (all under the age of 21) hanging out and drinking (alcohol). Not much later, the RA and campus police raid the room. From what I understand, his roommate says my brother bought the alcohol for them. The campus police tell my brother that they will be filing this with the town police and that there will be a warrant issued for his arrest on the charge of contributing to the deliquency of a minor. On top of all this, there is now the possibility that he will be kicked out of school. (which if he was guilty, I completely understand.) When he tried to tell the campus police his side, they told him that they didn't want to hear it and that they were going with the story from the roommate. My questions are: what are his options at this point? Can he really be arrested just based on the one testimony of the roommate even if there's no evidence he bought the alcohol or even hung out with that group of people? Any other information anyone might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
he was in the room, the only one over the age of 21, and everyone but him was drinking. I can understand why he was arrested. What he can do is hire an attorney and fight this in court. How did his underage roommate get the alcohol? Why was your brother allowing a crime to take place in his room? That was his MAJOR mistake.

The Occultist

Also, keep in mind arrest doesn't mean guilt. That's why they can arrest him. If arrests meant guilt, we wouldn't have a trial system.

But, it really doesn't look good for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">