• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

what1sth1s

ok heres the story my friend got into a fight with this other guy. some punches thrown here and there. then they were both in a headlock and my friend said "get him off me!" so i went in and punched the guy twice in the face you know to "help" my friend.

so they came to my school, arrested me and gave me my rights. brought me back to the police station. i called for legal aid was told to keep my mouth shut and i did. gave no statement. my mom came in they the police forced me to sign some papers stating:

I will appear in court and be fingerprinted if charged. Not to harm any witnesses.

officer said if i didnt sign them i wont be allowed to go until the date of the trial. she also said if i behave until the trial the prosecutor might just let me off with an alternative (counciling, anger management).

NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Happy Trails

what1sth1s said:
i live in CA

Ahhh haa, so then the California statute you are being charged with is????

Well, let me help you out with that question.

From California statutes:

240. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.

241. (a) An assault is punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by both the fine and imprisonment.

What1sth1s, hope the information that is state specific helped you. :rolleyes:

Now what you really need is information on the charge you are being charged with in Canada. Since this forum deals with US law (and clearly states that), I can't understand why Canadian's come here and pick a state to get advice (well, in your case you didn't pick it until after I pointed it out to you).

I'll take a guess and say you are being charged with criminal code 266 (keep in mind this is just a guess). Which is punishable by 6 mos./$2,000 fine.

http://www.criminal-lawyer.on.ca/penalty-violence.html

You really need to get your answers from a Canadian attorney or website that is specifically for Canadian law.

ok heres the story my friend got into a fight with this other guy. some punches thrown here and there. then they were both in a headlock and my friend said "get him off me!" so i went in and punched the guy twice in the face you know to "help" my friend.

so they came to my school, arrested me and gave me my rights. brought me back to the police station. i called for legal aid was told to keep my mouth shut and i did. gave no statement. my mom came in they the police forced me to sign some papers stating:

I will appear in court and be fingerprinted if charged. Not to harm any witnesses.

officer said if i didnt sign them i wont be allowed to go until the date of the trial. she also said if i behave until the trial the prosecutor might just let me off with an alternative (counciling, anger management).

NEED ADVICE PLEASE!
Seems to me the officer gave you some advice; whether it is accurate or not, I don't know.

Good luck to you anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">