• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child abuse charge question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hopefully, I can make this long story short...

My 21 year old sister-in-law has a 3 year old son and a 5 month old baby girl (they're both from different fathers). She has visitations with her son every other weekend and has full custody of her daughter (because that father wants nothing to do with the baby). She recently got married to her new boyfriend, which has a history of drug use. She brought her son home to her ex-husband after her weekend visitation and her ex noticed some bruises on him. He was worried so he called child services to investigate. My sister-in-law told them that she had put the bruises on him, so her ex put a temporary restraining order against her from her son. As the investigation went on, she finally confessed that she lied and that it was actually her new husband that put the bruises on her son, not her. At the time, child services told her that she had committed perjury. This was a couple of months ago and I just found out today that her husband had just been arrested for child abuse and was being held on a $44,000 bond. My first question is, what kind of penalties is he looking at? And my second question is, will my sister-in-law be penalized for lying to officials? Or possibly for failing to report the abuse? Any kind of information would be helpful.

nextwife

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hopefully, I can make this long story short...

My 21 year old sister-in-law has a 3 year old son and a 5 month old baby girl (they're both from different fathers). She has visitations with her son every other weekend and has full custody of her daughter (because that father wants nothing to do with the baby). She recently got married to her new boyfriend, which has a history of drug use. She brought her son home to her ex-husband after her weekend visitation and her ex noticed some bruises on him. He was worried so he called child services to investigate. My sister-in-law told them that she had put the bruises on him, so her ex put a temporary restraining order against her from her son. As the investigation went on, she finally confessed that she lied and that it was actually her new husband that put the bruises on her son, not her. At the time, child services told her that she had committed perjury. This was a couple of months ago and I just found out today that her husband had just been arrested for child abuse and was being held on a $44,000 bond. My first question is, what kind of penalties is he looking at? And my second question is, will my sister-in-law be penalized for lying to officials? Or possibly for failing to report the abuse? Any kind of information would be helpful.
Your sister allowed the abuse, lied to protect the abuser, and would apparently have brought that child back into the same environment with the abuser again, if the father had not noticed the bruises.

Who do YOU think needs to be protected here? Personally, I don't think she has any business having any children in this home if she's unwilling to make certain they are safe!

How could any woman who would put a guy's interests above a helpless child's?

What might have happened to this child the NEXT time she allowed this person to hurt him, if she's unwilling to protect him? The next time it could have been more than a bruise.

If he posts bail, and is out until trial- is she intending to have him in this home? Is her infant daughter still there?

Last edited:
I agree with you 110%. I know she's my sister-in-law, but I never said I agree with nor condone anything she's doing or has done. I think she's an extremely irresponsible and selfish person. But, for my mother-in-law's sake, I was trying to find any information I could about this to let her know what to expect.

...and to answer your questions that you added, I highly doubt he'll be able to post bail. But, if he does, hopefully her ex will be doing something to keep the child away from her, such as another temporary restraining order. As far as the daughter, she's still with my sister-in-law living at my mother-in-law's house. Ever since all of this happened, my sister-in-law moved in with her mother, but has since been trying to "work it out" with her husband, which is so insanely ridiculous.

Just Blue

...and to answer your questions that you added, I highly doubt he'll be able to post bail. But, if he does, hopefully her ex will be doing something to keep the child away from her, such as another temporary restraining order. As far as the daughter, she's still with my sister-in-law living at my mother-in-law's house. Ever since all of this happened, my sister-in-law moved in with her mother, but has since been trying to "work it out" with her husband, which is so insanely ridiculous.
Your sister-in-law can expect to lose custody of the other child to the state, if she continues to "work it out" with her child beating husband. Does she not understand whats happening?? He beat a helpless child...HER child! There is a case going on here in Mass...a "mother" along with her husband have been arrested for killing their 4 yo by overdosing the girl on her (the child's) medication...this kid was on 3 different physc. med's...4 years old! The husband has a rage disorder and didn't like the kids to be around...so mom would give the girl extra Clonidine to make her sleep...well she gave her to much and the kid died...Turns out this pos guy had molested the womans older daughter and she still stayed with him...She had her parental rights TPR'ed rather than leave this pos! Your SIL is responsible for the safety of her children...He has already proven that he will harm the kids...does she have to have one of her children die before she wakes up???

fairisfair

hang on guys, let's be sure not to kill the messenger here. I don't think Amber in any way condones her sister in law's actions, or the fact that she is staying with the POS. I took her post to be hopeful that the penalties would be severe.

I know, I agree. I can't tell you how many times we've tried to talk sense into her, but she's the most selfishly stubborn person I've ever come into contact with. She puts her own happiness before anyone elses, including her children, and it doesn't matter who she needs to step on to get there. I believe she should have her daughter taken away if she's knowingly putting her in harms way. My mother-in-law is actually thinking about adopting her if things go awry, which I'm sure they will. That's why I was wanting to know if she will be facing any kind of jail time.

Just Blue

hang on guys, let's be sure not to kill the messenger here. I don't think Amber in any way condones her sister in law's actions, or the fact that she is staying with the POS. I took her post to be hopeful that the penalties would be severe.

I know...I am sorry if it seemed like I was attacking Amber....It's the SIL I'm mad at....Flippin moron!!

Sorry Amber...:eek:

Just Blue

I know, I agree. I can't tell you how many times we've tried to talk sense into her, but she's the most selfishly stubborn person I've ever come into contact with. She puts her own happiness before anyone elses, including her children, and it doesn't matter who she needs to step on to get there. I believe she should have her daughter taken away if she's knowingly putting her in harms way. My mother-in-law is actually thinking about adopting her if things go awry, which I'm sure they will. That's why I was wanting to know if she will be facing any kind of jail time.
Yes...if they find her guilty of Child endangerment. Is she, herself, being investigated by the police or CPS for her part in this mess??

No, no, it's okay, Bay. I agree with you, I'm absolutely livid with her. But, what can you do? You can't help someone that doesn't want to help themselves.

I need to find out if she's being investigated or not. I was under the assumption that she was since child services told her that she was going to be charged with perjury. This happened a couple of months ago and it took them that long to finally arrest her idiot husband, so maybe they'll be following suit with her, as well.

Just Blue

I need to find out if she's being investigated or not. I was under the assumption that she was since child services told her that she was going to be charged with perjury. This happened a couple of months ago and it took them that long to finally arrest her idiot husband, so maybe they'll be following suit with her, as well.
You might want to call CPS and talk about your concerns regarding SIL's reconciliation with the abuser...maybe they will speed up what ever action they are taking...just a thought...

Yeah, that's a good idea. Would they keep me confidential? I don't want to get my name tangled up in all of this. I just want those kids to be safe and for her to finally be punished for her actions. Perjury and Child Endangerment are pretty serious crimes, are there different levels that would make them misdemeanors or felonies? What do you think she would be facing?

fairisfair

Yeah, that's a good idea. Would they keep me confidential? I don't want to get my name tangled up in all of this. I just want those kids to be safe and for her to finally be punished for her actions. Perjury and Child Endangerment are pretty serious crimes, are there different levels that would make them misdemeanors or felonies? What do you think she would be facing?
In most cases CPS does keep their sources confidential, but let's face it, if you are someday called to court to testify, well so much for your anonymity. But really, would you trade your "not getting tangled up in this" for the welfare of the children? I certainly hope not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">