• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child wants to quit school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MShelton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky.

My 15 yr old daughter will be 16 in january and insists that she is quitting school, with or without my permission, at that time. Long story short..we have gone round and round with the board of education, the courts, therapists, and the police because of her behavior and truancy. The currently situation is that she DOES go to school, but refuses to participate in any way, saying that "THEY" can legally make her go, but can't make her do anything else. (And this is exactly what she does..goes, but sleeps or just does not participate in classes).
Anyway, my question is what are my legal responsibilities regarding her quitting high school. If i allow her to quit, am i still financially responsibly for her? Does she have to find a job? If i don't let her quit, will i still be held accountable for her not going to school (she says after she turns 16, she IS NOT going, period)...i.e, will i be FINED and/or go to jail??
Thanks in advance...
M. Shelton

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky.

My 15 yr old daughter will be 16 in january and insists that she is quitting school, with or without my permission, at that time. Long story short..we have gone round and round with the board of education, the courts, therapists, and the police because of her behavior and truancy. The currently situation is that she DOES go to school, but refuses to participate in any way, saying that "THEY" can legally make her go, but can't make her do anything else. (And this is exactly what she does..goes, but sleeps or just does not participate in classes).
Anyway, my question is what are my legal responsibilities regarding her quitting high school. If i allow her to quit, am i still financially responsibly for her? Does she have to find a job? If i don't let her quit, will i still be held accountable for her not going to school (she says after she turns 16, she IS NOT going, period)...i.e, will i be FINED and/or go to jail??
Thanks in advance...
M. Shelton
Unless you or the other parent (with legal rights) signs the paperwork, she cannot quit school. Why would you want to allow her to quit? That's just like telling her you don't care if she ever has a future of any type.

You will still be financially responsible for her until she is a legal adult. Even if.

ErinGoBragh

Unless you or the other parent (with legal rights) signs the paperwork, she cannot quit school. Why would you want to allow her to quit? That's just like telling her you don't care if she ever has a future of any type.

You will still be financially responsible for her until she is a legal adult. Even if.
Don't let your child drop out of school. I did, and even though I got my GED and went to college, I will always regret it.

I often now wish that my mother had been more forceful on the topic of me staying in school. Or that my own attitude had been better.

Bottom line, are you the parent. Make her go. Don't let her drop out. If she has to continue going everyday, her attitude may change real fast. Do they have anything like PINS in Kentucky (Persons in Need of Supervision)? I know you said you've made the rounds, but perhaps some further outside intervention could help in this issue. Also, has she been left back a grade yet?

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Preciousness

I beg to differ. My oldest daughter, now 21, did the same thing. I had NO control, with her quitting school. The age to quit school, without parental consent, is 16 years old.
I got a phone call, 3 weeks after she stopped going, telling me that she was not showing up. At that point, she had already failed because of attendance (or lack of)
They told me that because she is 16 y/o, they weren't obligated to call me. They were just calling because SHE needed to sign a paper (Not her parents)
How screwed up is THAT ??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I beg to differ. My oldest daughter, now 21, did the same thing. I had NO control, with her quitting school. The age to quit school, without parental consent, is 16 years old.
I got a phone call, 3 weeks after she stopped going, telling me that she was not showing up. At that point, she had already failed because of attendance (or lack of)
They told me that because she is 16 y/o, they weren't obligated to call me. They were just calling because SHE needed to sign a paper (Not her parents)
How screwed up is THAT ??
What does your experience in Maryland have to do with this OP's situation in Kentucky? :rolleyes:

VeronicaLodge

wow OP has a great track record raising children, glad to know there will be 2 more drains on society out there! way to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">