• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child wants to quit school? Please Help??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ADG_Black

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My 16 year old daughter wants to drop out of high school. She has had major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. Recently for the past two years, her depressive episodes has taken a pathway for the worst causing truancy and failing many of her classes. She used to be a high achiever with straight As and now its straight Fs and a 1.8 GPA. She claims its all too much for her and I dont want to add to her stress or cause her more emotional damage but I do care for her future. She claims that 16 she can drop out. She says she wants to get a GED, start working to save for her to begin college at 18. She says right now her mindset isnt the best but she wants to return to higher education later on. If she continues high school, credit recovery is needed, extending her high school experience meaning stress for years. Should I support her? Can she drop out without parents permission in this state? If she discontinues to go, can the state fine me? I hate seeing her upset and depressed but I do think a diploma is necessary to succeed. If she drops out now and gets into college at 18, will she be able to pursue her career as a nurse? Please, she is my only child and Im not sure how to handle this situation properly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you thought of finding an alternative school setting for your daughter to complete her education? Speak to your local district about this possibility.

She can only drop out at 16 with your permission. It wouldn't happen at my house.

Source: https://www.reference.com/government-politics/old-drop-out-school-indiana-ffb4c6520012549e

ADG_Black

Alternative setting

She has tried online school and the results werent positive. A year we got an 504 plan in place yet, this is the outcome. As part of her 504 plan, shes completing high half days at the traditional school and the rest of the classes online. We have tried smaller class ratios but here we are again.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My 16 year old daughter wants to drop out of high school. She has had major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember. Recently for the past two years, her depressive episodes has taken a pathway for the worst causing truancy and failing many of her classes. She used to be a high achiever with straight As and now its straight Fs and a 1.8 GPA. She claims its all too much for her and I dont want to add to her stress or cause her more emotional damage but I do care for her future. She claims that 16 she can drop out. She says she wants to get a GED, start working to save for her to begin college at 18. She says right now her mindset isnt the best but she wants to return to higher education later on. If she continues high school, credit recovery is needed, extending her high school experience meaning stress for years. Should I support her? Can she drop out without parents permission in this state? If she discontinues to go, can the state fine me? I hate seeing her upset and depressed but I do think a diploma is necessary to succeed. If she drops out now and gets into college at 18, will she be able to pursue her career as a nurse? Please, she is my only child and Im not sure how to handle this situation properly.
Have you actually spoken with the school? Her teachers? Is she in counseling?

What are you doing to help her?

ADG_Black

Have you actually spoken with the school? Her teachers? Is she in counseling?

What are you doing to help her?
She has been in therapy for three years. I have spoken to her counselor, discipline and assitant principal, along with her teachers. They all say she has the potential to become a great leader but her mental issues are the road block. I take her to her therapy sessions and I try my best to stay in touch with the school and have an open communication line. The four therapists shes had, still state the same, to support her no matter what.

Zigner

Have you asked the school for a psychoeducational evaluation in order to determine if she qualifies for special education services? NOT a 504 plan, an actual IEP...

ADG_Black

Have you asked the school for a psychoeducational evaluation in order to determine if she qualifies for special education services? NOT a 504 plan, an actual IEP...
Yes, they stated her mental issues werent enough and had to be a "legit" medical impairment. The 504 plan was her best bet and even then, it was difficult to get help to put that in place.

Zigner

Yes, they stated her mental issues werent enough and had to be a "legit" medical impairment. The 504 plan was her best bet and even then, it was difficult to get help to put that in place.
You may wish to request an independent evaluation.

Pinkie39

I dropped out of high school at 17, 11th grade. Long story - not that I just didn't feel like going.

I worked and earned my GED and a diploma from a business college the following year,.

I now have a bachelor's and have completed most of the classes towards a master's.

My 18 year old daughter graduated from high school last year, the traditional way. I'm glad she got to have the real high school experience I missed.

But I know traditional high school is not for every kid. Getting a GED doesn't mean she can't have a successful future and go on to college and a career.

I earned my GED nearly 25 years ago though. I know that the GED requirements have since changed in many states. Do some research first to be sure it is an option for her.

I would also as Zigner said look into any alternative high school programs for her other than just online. Try your local community college if there's one in your area. Mine has several alternative high school programs for teens and adults.

Good luck with whatever you and she choose.

ADG_Black

I dropped out of high school at 17, 11th grade. Long story - not that I just didn't feel like going.

I worked and earned my GED and a diploma from a business college the following year,.

I now have a bachelor's and have completed most of the classes towards a master's.

My 18 year old daughter graduated from high school last year, the traditional way. I'm glad she got to have the real high school experience I missed.

But I know traditional high school is not for every kid. Getting a GED doesn't mean she can't have a successful future and go on to college and a career.

I earned my GED nearly 25 years ago though. I know that the GED requirements have since changed in many states. Do some research first to be sure it is an option for her.

I would also as Zigner said look into any alternative high school programs for her other than just online. Try your local community college if there's one in your area. Mine has several alternative high school programs for teens and adults.

Good luck with whatever you and she choose.
Thank you so much for your input. And I will take Zigners advice and look further more into it. Have a nice day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">