• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to delinquency of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynsky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
My son was arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He is 20. He received a message from a 16yo neighbor girl to come over with alcohol. He went she got very drunk and started puking. Police were called and came to my house to get him. He admits he should not have gave her alcohol. But my question is shouldn't she be held accountable too. When she got sick she deleted her message and asked him to delete his. He did. She knew she was in trouble that's why she asked him to delete the message on his end too. Isn't he in essence a minor himself being under 21? He has never been in trouble before. The police said if he pleads guilty he won't get much. Also he is being charged for underage drinking to but the never tested.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My son was arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He is 20. He received a message from a 16yo neighbor girl to come over with alcohol. He went she got very drunk and started puking. Police were called and came to my house to get him. He admits he should not have gave her alcohol. But my question is shouldn't she be held accountable too. When she got sick she deleted her message and asked him to delete his. He did. She knew she was in trouble that's why she asked him to delete the message on his end too. Isn't he in essence a minor himself being under 21? He has never been in trouble before. The police said if he pleads guilty he won't get much. Also he is being charged for underage drinking to but the never tested.
HE ADMITTED. He is guilty. What do you expect? She is a child, he is an adult. He has greater culpability. Time to teach your son to quit being an idiot and plying girls with alcohol -- or boys. He is lucky he only got arrested for that. You weren't there so therefore, he most likely admitted to drinking. And if you were there, YOU could be arrested. Pick a door.

eerelations

He is not a minor if he is 18 or over. She may or may not be held accountable for drinking underage, however, he is accountable for giving her alcohol. No way 'round that. If the legal drinking age is 21 in your state, then he is also accountable for drinking underage. None of this would have been mitigated by the text he deleted (not even if he deleted it because she asked him to).

Just Blue

Although your son is not of a legal age to buy or drink alcohol...He IS an adult. Rather alarming that he would bring booze to a child. Did you ask him why?

He should have an attorney. All questions should be asked of her/him.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Is your son unfamiliar with the word, "no"? Have you taught him the meaning of that word?

:confused:

Lynsky

Although your son is not of a legal age to buy or drink alcohol...He IS an adult. Rather alarming that he would bring booze to a child. Did you ask him why?

He should have an attorney. All questions should be asked of her/him.
His reason is because she wanted him too. He admits he is wrong. She is a neighborhood friend. Who has also been drinking before. I was more curious about the consumption charge even though they never tested. The parents of this child were out of town. 2 hours away. It was not at my home or the childs home. And I was grocery shopping. I know I would not be leaving my 16yo girl home alone.

Lynsky

Is your son unfamiliar with the word, "no"? Have you taught him the meaning of that word?

:confused:
Yes I have taught him. But he is 20 and thinks he knows it all. Has told me I can't make him do anything he doesn't want. Or that he will do things he wants, he says he doesn't need my permission. So honestly how do you reply to that?

Eekamouse

Yes I have taught him. But he is 20 and thinks he knows it all. Has told me I can't make him do anything he doesn't want. Or that he will do things he wants, he says he doesn't need my permission. So honestly how do you reply to that?
You tell him since he's all growed up and a man now, he can deal with his own problems like a man does. He made the decision to get a child drunk. He can deal with the consequences.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
His reason is because she wanted him too. He admits he is wrong. She is a neighborhood friend. Who has also been drinking before. I was more curious about the consumption charge even though they never tested. The parents of this child were out of town. 2 hours away. It was not at my home or the childs home. And I was grocery shopping. I know I would not be leaving my 16yo girl home alone.
You're trying to shove blame on her parents now, too?!

Goodness me!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How do you reply to that?! :D

"You're right. You're 20 and you're a legal adult. That means you face the legal consequences of your choices, including paying for your own lawyer."

Then let him fall... flat on his face, if necessary.

Do not offer help or advice on getting a lawyer. He wants the benefits of being an adult, then he has to take on the responsibilities.

If he is still living with you, then it is about time that you require him to sign a lease. If he's going to be rude and disrespectful, maybe he should get his own place.

quincy

My son was arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He is 20.
Here is a link to Tennessee's law on contributing to the delinquency of a minor: http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-37/chapter-1/part-1/37-1-156

It is a Class A misdemeanor.

He received a message from a 16yo neighbor girl to come over with alcohol.
Here is a link to Tennessee's law on enticing a child to purchase alcohol, purchasing alcohol for a child: http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-15/part-4/39-15-404

A minor is someone under the age of 21. Both enticing and purchasing are Class A misdemeanors.

He went she got very drunk and started puking. Police were called and came to my house to get him. He admits he should not have gave her alcohol.
Who called the police? It was smart of whoever called to call. The girl could have choked on her vomit and died.

But my question is shouldn't she be held accountable too. When she got sick she deleted her message and asked him to delete his. He did. She knew she was in trouble that's why she asked him to delete the message on his end too.
The girl can be charged for possession and consumption. It is better for your son (and you) to concentrate on the trouble he is in. Let the girl and her parents worry about the trouble she is in. If the girl's parents were home at the time of the alcohol drinking or the drinking occurred in their home, they could potentially be charged with a crime, as well.

Isn't he in essence a minor himself being under 21? He has never been in trouble before. The police said if he pleads guilty he won't get much. Also he is being charged for underage drinking to but the never tested.
Your son does not need to be tested for a minor in possession of alcohol charge. A minor in possession is charged the same as consumption. Both are Class A misdemeanors.

Your son needs a defense attorney. If convicted on the charges, your son will have a criminal record - although he can potentially petition the court to destroy the record of his conviction(s) six months from the date of violation, this depending on his fulfilling conditions ordered by the courts and/or other facts.

Last edited:

justalayman

How do you reply;

Boy you really screwed up this time. I sure hope you can afford a lawyer since the charges can carry jail time and since you think you are a big boy and don't want me to tell you what to do, you're on your own.

Btw: you should probably be looking for a new place to live. Since you don't want to live under my rules while in my house, you can make whatever rules you want in your house.

Last edited:

Lynsky

So just a public defender will not do? I have never had to deal with this so I have no Idea what to do. The bondsman didn't give me any papers except a receipt of payment. Just wrote the court date on the receipt.

Lynsky

Going in to the court and pleading guilty is not a good idea? The cops said because he hasn't done anything before that pleading guilty would be his best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">