• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to Minor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTM

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello all.

Last weekend I went to my girlfriend's (20yrs old) town (small town) for a visit. On the last night she wanted me to go over to one of her friends house and meet some people. On the way I picked up a twelve pack. We got there and she introduced to a few friends and I drank a few beers. I hid the beer in a back room closet so no one would take it. There were probably 20-25 people there playing beer pong and hanging out. After about 45 minutes the cops showed up and started writing tickets (side note: the cops said normally they'd dump out the beer and tell everyone to go home but apparently some minors had smarted off in a prior incident and they had decided to make point that night). All minors MIP's and all the 21+ crowd CTM's (5 of us). No questions asked they just lined everybody up. No one was allowed any of my beer, including my girlfriend (who did not drink). I knew no one's age at the house and only 3 or 4 names.

I must add that I'm 23 and have never recieved a ticket for anything, including traffic violations. I was polite with the cop and asked how I should handle the ticket, to which he replied I should pay the fine and it would not be on my record (I question that).

Two questions: I'm ignorant to the law appicable here so 1) what, if any, defenses do I have? And 2) How might this thing affect me assuming the cop was incorrect about it not being on my record? I believe one of the cops said the CTM fine could be up to $500, so I hope there is something I can do.

Thanks

The Occultist

Your best bet is to find an attorney to represent you. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and thus have the greatest potential for providing the most favorable position for you. May attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so take advantage of this and sit down with a couple of them to see what insight they may have to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">