• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could he actually be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Littleshark

Oregon. My boyfriend and I fell madly in love very quickly even though we knew it was wrong because we have such a big age gap. He's 26 and I'm 17. We've decided to wait until I'm 18 to have sex, which is hard. So I did a bit of research on the age of consent (which is 18) but I found out that Rape in the third degree includes consensual sex between a minor who was 14 or 15, and a defendant who was at least three years older than the victim. This says nothing about having sex with a minor who is 17. So could he actually be charged? If so, what would be his penalty if we had sex?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And what is your parents' opinion of this man? Especially of his being your "boyfriend".

Is he taking you to prom?

eerelations

Agree with both of the above. There are lots of things this man could be charged with. And if your parents don't like you seeing him? Lots more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By the age of 26, a normal guy doesn't fall "madly in love" with a 17 year old. I can believe a 19-21 year old, but not a 26 year old.

Just Blue

By the age of 26, a normal guy doesn't fall "madly in love" with a 17 year old. I can believe a 19-21 year old, but not a 26 year old.
IMO...Any "man" that "hooks" up with a minor ...Well, there is just something wrong there.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
More often than not, a 26yo adult who "falls in love" with a 17yo is unable to relate to his/her peers. Goes for someone younger because of their lower maturity level/personal insecurities and the ease of exerting control on a younger partner.

A nine year difference, in and of itself, isn't always a big deal - when the younger has had a chance to mature. That means being allowed to experience normal rites of passage (hence my prom question). A "normal" adult would want his/her younger partner to experience those parts of life - gaining their independence, learning about themselves, enjoying being "young".

OP.... chill a bit. If he really is in love with you, he will understand your need to finish growing into a mature woman. Not physically, but emotionally. Allow yourself to see YOUR life as an independent young woman. If he doesn't? You're looking for a world of hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">