• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which court might i have to go to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ravenm0708

A week before my 18th birthday i had runaway from my house after a bad fight with my stepmom and my dad called the cops on me. The officer said i was being charged with assualt and a misdemeanor charge of unruly child I still havent recieved my court date and i dont know if now that im 18 if i have to go to regular court and be tried as an adult or go to juvenile court. Any helpful information would be great.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We ask for your state for a reason. Knowing exactly what you've been charged with (statute number) would also be helpful.

quincy

A week before my 18th birthday i had runaway from my house after a bad fight with my stepmom and my dad called the cops on me. The officer said i was being charged with assault and a misdemeanor charge of unruly child I still havent recieved my court date and i dont know if now that im 18 if i have to go to regular court and be tried as an adult or go to juvenile court. Any helpful information would be great.
Ravenm0708, a child is defined as anyone under the age of 17, or anyone under the age of 21 if the act of delinquency occurred before reaching the age of 17, this under Georgia law O.C.G.A 15-11-2. But, at the court's discretion, a 17 year old who has turned 18 can have his case transferred from Juvenile Court to Superior Court. A transfer is more likely to happen if the offense was a serious one that resulted in bodily injury to another.

"Unruly child" is charged if a child is habitually and without justification disobedient of reasonable and lawful commands of parents (or truant from school, deserts home, loiters after midnight ...). Unruly child offenses can also be found under Georgia law O.C.G.A 15-11-2.

I am not sure how likely but you could potentially be confined to a youth development center up to your 21st birthday.

You would be smart to locate an attorney in your area of Georgia for help with your charges. Good luck.

GoneFishun

Quincy, in case you care your private message storage limit has been reached (you are no longer receiving messages).

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Quincy, in case you care your private message storage limit has been reached (you are no longer receiving messages).
If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Quincy has a policy of not using private messages. You'll have to avail yourself of his wisdom in your thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">