• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a crime to talk to a minor as a friend if no sexuality was involved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainK30

The question came up because the girls parents think that just because shes a minor that my friend can't talk to her. They weren't talking about anything sexual, they were just talking as friends

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The question came up because the girls parents think that just because shes a minor that my friend can't talk to her. They weren't talking about anything sexual, they were just talking as friends
It's entirely OK for a child's parent to restrict who their child can or can't talk to.

Just Blue

^^

I should get a prize for my first post!! :p

CaptainK30

OK. First of all I'm posting this on a friends behalf. Secondly they were only just friends. They had sternly agreed that any sexual activity between them would have to wait until the girl was of age to date him. I was just wondering if it was a crime for him to talk to her as a friend. I'm just trying to keep him out of trouble

CaptainK30

It was not me who was talking to the minor. It was my friend. They weren't talking about anything sexual because he showed me the texts messages. I just wanted to know if it was a crime for him to talk to her because her parents think it is and I've never heard of it but I figured that just because I've never heard of it, that doesn't mean its not a crime. I was just asking because I don't really know if it is a crime and I just wanted to ask a pro before I used my own judgment

Just Blue

OK. First of all I'm posting this on a friends behalf. Secondly they were only just friends. They had sternly agreed that any sexual activity between them would have to wait until the girl was of age to date him. I was just wondering if it was a crime for him to talk to her as a friend. I'm just trying to keep him out of trouble
How old is your friend and how old is the minor?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, it's certainly not normal for an adult to have an underage child as a "friend", especially since they plan on, uh, dating.

Obviously they had discussions about sex since they agreed not to discuss it further.

The whole situation sounds like trouble. Why don't you let your friend worry about his own affairs. There is nothing you can do to deter him from his stupidity.

CaptainK30

I never said anything about that at all. I respect their decision to restrict him but I just was wondering if it was a crime for him to talk to her

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was not me who was talking to the minor. It was my friend. They weren't talking about anything sexual because he showed me the texts messages. I just wanted to know if it was a crime for him to talk to her because her parents think it is and I've never heard of it but I figured that just because I've never heard of it, that doesn't mean its not a crime. I was just asking because I don't really know if it is a crime and I just wanted to ask a pro before I used my own judgment
Use your own judgment about what? This really isn't your business. As a good friend, your best bet is to tell your friend to grow up and leave the child alone.

eerelations

It's a crime if he continues to talk to her after her parents tell him to stop. If he continues to talk to her after they tell him to stop, they will be able to obtain a restraining order against him. Said restraining order will be on his record forever, even after it expires.

Clear enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">