• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminal trespass II

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelleharris1

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My 13 year old son and his friend went onto an abandoned commercial property that was fenced and had no trespassing signs up. The fence had areas where many other people have used to also go onto the property. On the property is an old rusty 75 foot crane and the boys climbed up into the crane and were checking it out and the windows were broke so they were dropping some of the broken glass down and watching it smash below. Long story short the police were called and my son and his friend were very compliant and the officers proceeded to arrest them cuff them and charge them with criminal trespass II. The property owner was contacted and also said he was interested in pressing the charge.
My son has never ever been in trouble like this before, he is a peer leader in his school gets high admiration from his teachers for how responsible and mature he acts and his grades are A's and B's. What will this do to his chances for obtaining a part time after school job and his desire to go to the high school of his choosing now that he has a "criminal record"? Is there anyway we can get the charge dropped? It just seems so ridiculous to take a kid who has never been trouble and make an example of him when the property is mostly used by vagrants and burglarized by metal thieves for meth. My son and his friend could have been sternly warned about how dangerous what they were doing was and they would have been so scared about being scolded by a police officer they would have never gone back there. Handcuffs, community service, a criminal record, and the monetary damage we may be forced to pay seems very excessive for a couple of 13 year olds just doing what boys have done for decades...EXPLORING!!!

Perky

...the property is mostly used by vagrants and burglarized by metal thieves for meth. ...Handcuffs, community service, a criminal record, and the monetary damage we may be forced to pay seems very excessive for a couple of 13 year olds just doing what boys have done for decades...EXPLORING!!!
I understand your concern about the arrest, but as a parent, I would be much more concerned about my 13 yr old exploring places frequented by vagrants and meth addicts!

Curt581

If you were to wake up and find two teenage boys you didn't know in your bedroom at 3:00AM... would you give them a stern scolding about EXPLORING?

CdwJava

There are almost certainly options available here that will defer any conviction on this matter provided they complete community service, fines, and stay out of trouble.

I can't see that this will be a big issue for the future, but a lot of that might depend on how the authorities feel the issue is being addressed at home.

- Carl

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Oregon
My 13 year old son and his friend went onto an abandoned commercial property that was fenced and had no trespassing signs up. The fence had areas where many other people have used to also go onto the property. On the property is an old rusty 75 foot crane and the boys climbed up into the crane and were checking it out and the windows were broke so they were dropping some of the broken glass down and watching it smash below. Long story short the police were called and my son and his friend were very compliant and the officers proceeded to arrest them cuff them and charge them with criminal trespass II. The property owner was contacted and also said he was interested in pressing the charge.
My son has never ever been in trouble like this before, he is a peer leader in his school gets high admiration from his teachers for how responsible and mature he acts and his grades are A's and B's. What will this do to his chances for obtaining a part time after school job and his desire to go to the high school of his choosing now that he has a "criminal record"? Is there anyway we can get the charge dropped? It just seems so ridiculous to take a kid who has never been trouble and make an example of him when the property is mostly used by vagrants and burglarized by metal thieves for meth. My son and his friend could have been sternly warned about how dangerous what they were doing was and they would have been so scared about being scolded by a police officer they would have never gone back there. Handcuffs, community service, a criminal record, and the monetary damage we may be forced to pay seems very excessive for a couple of 13 year olds just doing what boys have done for decades...EXPLORING!!!
Yet if your 13 year old darling angel had fallen off the 75 foot crane and gotten hurt or killed, OR gotten hurt by broken glass on the property or anything else, I bet you would be here trying to find out how you could sue the property owner for your damages.
Try teaching your child to read and comprehend and STAY OFF PROPERTY that does NOT belong to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">