• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminal trespassing - could i be charged for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leftoverlinguin

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
If someone could please read this story and give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if I could be charged and convicted with the following situation.
On a saturday night I picked up two friends. One of them said that he needed to get some money from his cousin's house who lives about 15 minutes away. At the time my friend's cousin was on vaction so no one was at his house. So we were pretty bored so I agreed to drive them down to my friend's cousin's house. We got there and went in through the basement door. Also, to the best of my knowledge, we were allowed there. In fact, my friend said that he even asked his cousin. So we went in and hung out for a few minutes. At this time I decided to just leave and hang out with someone else. So I leave this one kid and my friend at my friend's cousin's house. From here on I am no longer involved, but this is where is gets bad. A couple days later the one kid somehow got back there and invited a bunch of people to the house. The house was TRASHED. Cars, jewlry, everything was stolen and destroyed. Now eventually the family came and obviously called the police. I guess somehow they found out it was the one kid that I originally brought there that did all this. So about a week later i get a call from the cops asking my story and i tell them exactly what happened and all i know. Then, my mom talked to the parents of my one friend and apparently his cousins are pressing charges on everyone(possibly me too). I believe they're even pressing charges on their own nephew.
My question is, how much trouble could I get in for this? I am 17 years old, an honors student, and have never been in trouble before. Keep in mind that i had no idea that I was doing anything wrong while i was there. Thanks in advance for any help.What is the name of your state?

leftoverlinguin

I realise what that sounds like, but the one kid(that did all the vandalism and stuff) said that the other kid said that we had permission to be there(which he did say) and that's what I'm saying too. I'm not sure, but my friend would probably admit that he told us that we were allowed to be there. Also, a piece of info that I left out; the whole time when all the vandalism occured I was in a different state, and I have multiple alibis to back that up. I was only there for a few minutes and then left both of them there. The vandalism and stuff didn't occur until later that week.

quincy

If the two friends you dropped off at the house will back up your version of the story, and you have an airtight alibi, you may have to appear in court, but the judge could potentially release you of any liability for the damage done to the house, or the theft. But you really need those friends of yours to back you up on this one, or else you will be charged with the rest of them.

leftoverlinguin

Well there was only one kid that actually went there and destroyed stuff(with a bunch of other people I think). The other one(the one whose cousin owns the house) was not even there. I didn't even know about all the stuff that was happening during the week. I know that every alibi would check out fine. I have my employers, co-workers, an aunt, and two uncles that I stay with during the week that can vouch that I was in new york city the entire week. I'm not really worried about the vandalism charges, it's the criminal trespassing that I'm worried about. I looked it up online and it said that it's really only breaking the law if you know that you shouldn't be there and refuse to leave. However I do realise that it will be dificult to prove that I had every reason to believe that i was allowed to be there. I'm not even sure if charges are being pressed against me, I'm just scared that my naiveness could potentially come back with a criminal record.

leftoverlinguin

Also, when we were first there nothing was stolen or anything. I was just there and left. I'm pretty sure that that part of the story is not in question.

quincy

Again, you will really really really need those two friends of yours to verify your story - that the one friend told you that his cousin said it was okay to go in. I've got to tell you, just as Curt581 did, that the story you tell here does not sound true, whether it is true or not. That is why it is vital that your entire story is backed up every step of the way.

Was the basement door unlocked, by the way? Or did you have to break in? Or was the door in any way damaged later when the theft and vandalism occurred?

Last edited:

leftoverlinguin

From what I've heard, and I don't know much, things were so badly damaged that they were unable to tell how people got in. Again, they're not looking to get me with burglary/vandalism/breaking and entering. If anything it would be criminal trespassing. I wasn't there when they actually got in, but nothing looked damaged, so i think the door was just open. I don't even think my name was mentioned until today and all anyone really knows is that I drove there.

Last edited:

quincy

Well, leftoverlinguin, if you are found guilty of criminal trespass, you can face up to 18 months in jail and a $10,000 fine, so I sure hope, for your sake, that you and your friend's stories jibe about permission to be in the house, and that the date of the vandalism and theft can be shown to be at a time you can verify you were far, far away.

outonbail

From what I've heard, and I don't know much, things were so badly damaged that they were unable to tell how people got in. Again, they're not looking to get me with burglary/vandalism/breaking and entering. If anything it would be criminal trespassing.
What time of the night was it when you originally drove your friend there to pick up the money he claimed was left there for him? Once you were all inside, did he go somewhere inside the house and retrieve this money? Did he turn all the inside lights on inside the house or did someone just guide the way with a flashlight? When you say you decided to leave to go hang out with someone else, did the other two remain in the house and how did they say they would get home if you were leaving them there?
I wasn't there when they actually got in, but nothing looked damaged, so i think the door was just open.
How could you not have been there when they actually got in? Didn't you drive them there? Did you wait in the car until they came back to get you after they got inside?
I don't even think my name was mentioned until today and all anyone really knows is that I drove there.
You can't possibly know that all anyone else knows is that you drove them there. How would they know that you drove them there? Don't you think that whoever told them that you drove them there, would also have told them that you went in with them for a few minutes?

Trying to read between the lines, here's what I'm visioning went down:

Your driving around with these two friends bored and either trying to figure out how to come up with some money to do a little partying, or looking for a place to kick back and do a little partying. One of your friends says his cousin and family is away on vacation and there is no one home there right now.
He may have said that his cousin told him any time he needs a place to party, kick back or bring his girlfriend, etc. he can use his house. Somewhere in this whole conversation he mentions that his cousin even owes him money and perhaps the money is at the house in the secret hiding place he knows about and if you bring them there, he can pay you for your gas and a little extra for doing him the favor. You may be undecided at this point because you think something doesn't sound right about the whole thing. Anyway, maybe it was the money offer or some other reason, but eventually your friend talks you into driving them there.
Your friend tells you his cousin always leaves the basement door open or hides a key somewhere or something along these lines, but either way, when you get there he'll go check and make sure the door is open so you can all go inside. You wait in the car until he comes back and tells you it's all cool and the door is open, at which time you went ahead and followed him in the house. Once in the house, something isn't right about the whole situation. there is no secret place where the money should be, your friends have not turned on the lights or put a movie in the DVD to watch, instead they are looking in all the bedrooms and closets for whatever they can find. This is when you get cold feet and say you are leaving because you don't want to get into trouble, you may even tell them you will pick them up at a predetermined time or when they call for a ride. So you leave and are relieved to be away from there, because you know exactly what it is they're doing. You may or may not have been given some cash for taking them there, but you figure that since it wasn't your idea and since you were not the one to break in and you didn't personally steal anything, that you are innocent. But you are not going to rat off your friends, you're only trying to cover your own a$$.

So while you didn't want to go burglarize this house, you knew something wasn't kosher about the whole going there with cousin's permission story, right from the start. But when you saw exactly what was going on with your own eyes, you left. But you knew that your friends were up to no good and now your sorry you ever brought them there in the first place. But what's done is done, you just want the judge to know that it wasn't done by you.

So, is this close to how it all came down?

kdhohio

outonbail......ROFL

That is excellent....can I email you when my kids give me baloney story so you can interpret what they are really saying???

I really need to learn to do that!

outonbail

outonbail......ROFL

That is excellent....can I email you when my kids give me baloney story so you can interpret what they are really saying???
What? Are you trying to say that your own children aren't perfect angels at all times? I'm impressed, I've found that it's pretty rare to read someone's child may actually be wrong or untruthful in any of the posts on this site. Well, there are those who only ended up in trouble because of someone else's child being a bad influence on them, but try to find one who did something illegal because of their own bad decision and you'll be in for a hell of a search,,,,,

I really need to learn to do that!
I learned it from my own dad, who in nineteen years of living under his roof, never believed a single story I ever told him. :mad:

But let me tell you, it really hurt me when he didn't believe me that one time I actually did tell him the truth! I won't ever let him forget it either,,, :D

leftoverlinguin

What time of the night was it when you originally drove your friend there to pick up the money he claimed was left there for him? Once you were all inside, did he go somewhere inside the house and retrieve this money? Did he turn all the inside lights on inside the house or did someone just guide the way with a flashlight? When you say you decided to leave to go hang out with someone else, did the other two remain in the house and how did they say they would get home if you were leaving them there?
How could you not have been there when they actually got in? Didn't you drive them there? Did you wait in the car until they came back to get you after they got inside? You can't possibly know that all anyone else knows is that you drove them there. How would they know that you drove them there? Don't you think that whoever told them that you drove them there, would also have told them that you went in with them for a few minutes?

Trying to read between the lines, here's what I'm visioning went down:

Your driving around with these two friends bored and either trying to figure out how to come up with some money to do a little partying, or looking for a place to kick back and do a little partying. One of your friends says his cousin and family is away on vacation and there is no one home there right now.
He may have said that his cousin told him any time he needs a place to party, kick back or bring his girlfriend, etc. he can use his house. Somewhere in this whole conversation he mentions that his cousin even owes him money and perhaps the money is at the house in the secret hiding place he knows about and if you bring them there, he can pay you for your gas and a little extra for doing him the favor. You may be undecided at this point because you think something doesn't sound right about the whole thing. Anyway, maybe it was the money offer or some other reason, but eventually your friend talks you into driving them there.
Your friend tells you his cousin always leaves the basement door open or hides a key somewhere or something along these lines, but either way, when you get there he'll go check and make sure the door is open so you can all go inside. You wait in the car until he comes back and tells you it's all cool and the door is open, at which time you went ahead and followed him in the house. Once in the house, something isn't right about the whole situation. there is no secret place where the money should be, your friends have not turned on the lights or put a movie in the DVD to watch, instead they are looking in all the bedrooms and closets for whatever they can find. This is when you get cold feet and say you are leaving because you don't want to get into trouble, you may even tell them you will pick them up at a predetermined time or when they call for a ride. So you leave and are relieved to be away from there, because you know exactly what it is they're doing. You may or may not have been given some cash for taking them there, but you figure that since it wasn't your idea and since you were not the one to break in and you didn't personally steal anything, that you are innocent. But you are not going to rat off your friends, you're only trying to cover your own a$$.

So while you didn't want to go burglarize this house, you knew something wasn't kosher about the whole going there with cousin's permission story, right from the start. But when you saw exactly what was going on with your own eyes, you left. But you knew that your friends were up to no good and now your sorry you ever brought them there in the first place. But what's done is done, you just want the judge to know that it wasn't done by you.

So, is this close to how it all came down?

It was in the afternoon when we went there so it was still light out. I wasn't originally with them when they went in because I was going to the bathroom. It's a fairly wooded area so I doubt that's a problem. When we went in they did turn all the necessary lights on. My friend went, got his money, and then they were just sitting on the basement couch hanging out for a few minutes. It was boring, and no one was doing anything so I left. I left both of them there and left it like we might hang out again later or something. I just assumed they would get a ride back from someone else and if not, I would just pick them up. It was later that week when the one kid went back(without my friend whos cousin's house it was) and did all sorts of stuff.
I'm not trying to get an analysis of my story. I'm just wondering what I'm facing assuming my story checks out.

outonbail

It was in the afternoon when we went there so it was still light out.
This is a bad sign. Your original post claimed this: "On a saturday night I picked up two friends." So, you have to come up with a story and stick to it! When you start changing little details it doesn't look good.

I wasn't originally with them when they went in because I was going to the bathroom.
I guess there's a perfectly good explanation for not using the bathroom in the house,,, I just haven't figured out what it is yet.

It's a fairly wooded area so I doubt that's a problem. When we went in they did turn all the necessary lights on.
So then it was dark and in the evening? Or did you start going to the bathroom in the daylight and finish when it was dark? See, going back and forth from dark to daylight and back to dark again is hard to follow.

My friend went, got his money, and then they were just sitting on the basement couch hanging out for a few minutes. It was boring, and no one was doing anything so I left.
I got it, the old three's a crowd huh?

I left both of them there and left it like we might hang out again later or something. I just assumed they would get a ride back from someone else and if not, I would just pick them up. It was later that week when the one kid went back(without my friend whos cousin's house it was) and did all sorts of stuff.
How is it that this is known?
I'm not trying to get an analysis of my story. I'm just wondering what I'm facing assuming my story checks out.
How can I check out your story if I don't analyze it? Anyway, if your facts are accurate, then "Public Urination" sounds like a possibility,,, or were you making number 2? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">